Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be more clear instead of just quoting someone else, I only use powerheads to hunt large (50-80#) jacks and cobia on very specific sites that are past recreational limits. FYI to legally use powerheads to hunt you have to be in 150' or deeper in this part of the panhandle. I don't feel that you have time to load (even slip ons ready at hand) if a shark is really coming afer you. I say that from alot of aggressive (which is insanely different from a curious) shark experience.

Early aggressive action towards the shark and repeated prodding while lifting the fish up or hugging them close (as advocated by nearly all Gulf Commercial Spearfisherman) has worked well for me.

FWIW, I've carried a slipon powerhead for years. So far I've managed to deal with sharks without having to use it. I won't rule out the possibility, but its presence is for an extreme situation. Those seem to be rare.

My typical method of dealing with a shark that shows up while I'm hunting is to go alpha on it. Charge it as fast as I can, yell through my reg & if it lets me get close enough jab or whack it as hard as I can. Ain't nuthin' gentle about it, I want that critter to think he's just messed with the wrong thing in the sea.

So far this has resulted in them leaving, rapidly. If it ever fails to work & I survive that, I'll report back on the details...

What has worked for me most of the time is before shooting at any fish me and my buddy swim torwards the shark as fast and as noisy as we can. A shot in any direction near the shark will usually spook it from coming back with the pneumatic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom