Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

~Scuba_Steve~

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone tell me what the rules and Regulations are for Spearfishing in Texas lakes. :confused:

Check with the folks at Tiger Shark Scuba in Burleson....they do some spearfishing inland and off shore.

www.tigersharkscuba.com

PS---these guys are relocating to SW Arlington in mid August off I-20 and Little Road..

texdiveguy:
Check with the folks at Tiger Shark Scuba in Burleson....they do some spearfishing inland and off shore.

www.tigersharkscuba.com

PS---these guys are relocating to SW Arlington in mid August off I-20 and Little Road..

Thanks will look into it. :D

From Texas Parks and Wildlife
Spear:
Any shaft with single or multiple points, barbed or barbless, which may be propelled by any means, but does not include arrows.
May be used to take NONGAME fish only.
Speargun:
Any hand operated device designed and used for propelling a spear, but does not include the crossbow.
May be used to take NONGAME fish only.

Game Fish (includes hybrids or subspecies of fish on this list):
Bass: Guadalupe, largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, striped, white, yellow
Catfish: blue, channel, flathead
Cobia
Crappie: black, white
Mackerel: king, Spanish
Marlin: blue, white
Pickerel
Red drum
Sailfish
Sauger
Seatrout, spotted
Sharks
Snook
Spearfish, longbill
Swordfish, broadbill
Tarpon
Tripletail
Trout: brown, rainbow
Wahoo
Walleye​

There are no rules. Laws maybe, but no hard and fast rules.

I have my own personal guidelines though:
#1.
Usually, spearguns in Texas lakes work as part of a Low Visibilty Navigation Aid
( aka ~ LVNA)

Directions : First... Line up the gun with your compass heading and then fire. Then follow the attached line to the spear. Repeat the process as often as needed.
It works and I have not hit anybody yet when I fire into the murky darkness.

#2.
You will always look cool when you come on shore with a speargun in your hands.
It's sorta like a Chain Saw. People show respect.

#3.
The spears are great for roasting Marsh Mellows on but be sure to wipe off the fish from the spear before hand.

Timeliner:
There are no rules. Laws maybe, but no hard and fast rules.

I have my own personal guidelines though:
#1.
Usually, spearguns in Texas lakes work as part of a Low Visibilty Navigation Aid
( aka ~ LVNA)

Directions : First... Line up the gun with your compass heading and then fire. Then follow the attached line to the spear. Repeat the process as often as needed.
It works and I have not hit anybody yet when I fire into the murky darkness.

#2.
You will always look cool when you come on shore with a speargun in your hands.
It's sorta like a Chain Saw. People show respect.

#3.
The spears are great for roasting Marsh Mellows on but be sure to wipe off the fish from the spear before hand.

Timeline you are toooooooooooo funny, lol :popcorn: . I love it. To everyone else thanks :D , you to timeline, thanks :wink:

Steve

And you had better have a fishing license.

Also, Fairfield lake (Fairfield state park) is stocked with Tilapial and Red Drums, in this lake only, these fish are considered non-game fish and can be taken with a spear. (if you can see them, vis is pretty crappy)

Now if you want to spearfish in the Gulf of Mexico and you go out beyond 9 miles, you are now in Federal waters and different regulations apply. You still need a TX fishing licsense and a salt water stamp, but you can take cobia, ling, snappper, red drum, jacks, spadefish and a whole assortment of game fish.

Thanks everyone....looks like me and my partner will be hitting the coast then.......................... Carp yuck, lol. :D bit to slimey for my tastes :wink:

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom