Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775:
Bugman, I am just about finished converting a large, old Sea Hunter into a smaller version. Looks real nice, my second such conversion. I need a gun which will be handy for shooting sheepies in water with 6-15 foot vis with occasional opportunity to tag a 50 pound black drum. Things can blow by you quick in this rocky and murky place. The gun stock is only about 39 inches long but because of the rear sear/ forward grip (Addict design) the rubber pull is 33 inches, same as the Riffe Midrange. I guess it looks a bit like the metaltec Midrange. Using my Biller 54 or Island in these circumstances would be ridiculous and unworkable.

Sounds like the kind of diving in my area.

I can't tell if you are trying to argue with me or not, but your point is the same point I'm trying to make. Big blue water guns aren't THE answer for every dive.
icon14.gif

SuPrBuGmAn:
Sometimes that one dimension is enough. You obviously don't dive on shallow reefs where surge is a problem and manueverability makes a larger difference. Your one gun will present issues at that point. Still useable? Of course! Best tool for the job? I think not.

Not everyone buys with the intention of selling. No matter what gun you buy, if you sell it used, it'll be for a loss.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I don't think you are taking into account that not everyone will be diving the deep blue sea with monster fish.

You are entitled to your opinion though...
You are correct my dives are 80 to 120' always. I dive the same exact area where the original thread starter dives. there are absolutely 0 shallow reefs here which is why i strongly suggest not buying a small gun here. unless this person is going to travel to a shallow reef he will be wasting money. I have a giant gun and have shot everything from sheepshead to 50# grouper never a problem.

Hardhed, local knowledge is best but I'm not sure why you say the explorer is small. Actually, it has a configuration reminiscent of some euro guns but is cheaper, and is available in various lengths. The Hawaiians seem to like them; Blue Water Hunter, Kona sells them in a number of customized configurations. Of course, their prices are higher. As size increases, the options change and it brings one back to a full circle. I'm not about to recommend a Riffe or semi- custom wood gun to a tank diver. It is too bad that the US gun makers aren't more diversified and it seems to come down to Biller or JBL HD. For the conditions you describe, the original recommendation of a Biller 48 perhaps should be upped to the Biller 54 or comparable JBL HD, although I have seen some nice game taken in Florida with the 48's as well. Since free shafting is so popular in parts of Florida, particularly the south and west, a gun with closed muzzle should figure in the choice.

Pasty-dor said:
Hardhed, local knowledge is best but I'm not sure why you say the explorer is small.

response:
the largest explorer has only a 42" shaft length. bare minimum for shooting these waters.
pesty-dor said:
Actually, it has a configuration reminiscent of some euro guns but is cheaper, and is available in various lengths.

response:
sizes available are small smaller and why bother

pasty-dor said:
The Hawaiians seem to like them; Blue Water Hunter, Kona sells them in a number of customized configurations. Of course, their prices are higher. As size increases, the options change and it brings one back to a full circle.

response:
I know of no one in hawaii boasting using one of these. are you kidding really *** do you mean brings one back full circle.

pasty-dor said:
I'm not about to recommend a Riffe or semi- custom wood gun to a tank diver. It is too bad that the US gun makers aren't more diversified and it seems to come down to Biller or JBL HD.

response:
you obviously are a know nothing and talk completely out of your ***. most people I know are diving a riffe or semi custom wood gun when tank diving. maybe you need to take your speedo wearing freediving *** to any competitive tournament and see what is being used by the masses with complete success before you go on piping your big horn about this rediculous jbl gun.

pasty-dor said:
For the conditions you describe, the original recommendation of a Biller 48 perhaps should be upped to the Biller 54 or comparable JBL HD, although I have seen some nice game taken in Florida with the 48's as well.

response:
you know nothing of our conditions here it is obvious but I do as I shoot regularly here and rarely come back with 0 fish even when conditions are bad. I cannot figure out your thinking on why a rail gun is good for tank divers and wood is a freediving gun. are you dislexic?

pasty-dor said:
Since free shafting is so popular in parts of Florida, particularly the south and west, a gun with closed muzzle should figure in the choice.

response:
this might be the only thing you said that might bear any merit on our diving here. i freeshaft whenever possible using my enclosed track custom wood gun while tank diving. it is amazing i can even shoot anything with all this going against me.

btw I might not have gotten nasty with you but your using hardhed in light of my screen name well that just ups the ante.

also. here are pics of fish all shot with wood guns and by tank divers. all guns were long rediculous and not jbl's I guess someone is doing something wrong here. post up those big euro fish your shooting with your jbl's please enlighten me.

Hey IronHed, Good to see you here. I've been really busy and haven't logged on much lately. it's good to see a little Spearboard pizzaz liven up things here. I sold my gas hog boat and will get a smaller one with a four stroke. It's best for how I hunt here anyway. I still haven't killed anything with the Baja Plus. Later, Hank

Ironhed:
...take your speedo wearing freediving *** to any competitive tournament and see what is being used by the masses with complete success before you go on piping your big horn about this rediculous jbl gun.

In all fairness, not everyone who spearfishes, does so in tournaments. Neither do everyone who spearfish, go after bigger game where larger guns are necessary.

I'm sure all the guys with the big name guns would have brought the same fish home with a equivelant JBL gun. There is a skill to this sport, its not all about brand names.

Ironhed:
...also. here are pics of fish all shot with wood guns and by tank divers. all guns were long rediculous and not jbl's I guess someone is doing something wrong here. post up those big euro fish your shooting with your jbl's please enlighten me.

Lots of big fish killed by JBLs here http://www.jblspearguns.com/photos/index.php

I dunno if any were killed with a 20" explorer(doubt it), but I'm all for comparing apples(long Wong) to apples(long JBL), not apples(long Wong) with oranges(short JBL).

There is a pic of a nice fish taken with a 24" Explorer for sure. http://www.jblspearguns.com/photos/view.php?picid=12

Use the right tool for the job. I'd much rather take a 20" JBL(or better yet, a polespear) to hunt sheepies and flounder, than your 57" Wong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom