Spearfishing in New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

armyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone having any guidance in spearfishing in New England? I am currently stationed in Guantanamo Bay, CUBA. We spearfish here regularly without any problems from predators. IE (Bull Sharks and Reef Sharks) We hunt Snook, Grouper, Barracuda, and Jacks. Coming back stateside this summer and wondered if anyone had accomplished this task with the limited vis in N.E. waters. Of course I am spoiled down here with vis often around 100+ feet at 15 meters. Look foward to N.E. Lobster again as well. Stuck with Caribbean lobster..just not the same. But always fun either way.
Guess I'll have to update my 2 mil shorty...ha, our water temp here is usually 81 degrees.

CPT D

armyscuba:
Anyone having any guidance in spearfishing in New England? I am currently stationed in Guantanamo Bay, CUBA. We spearfish here regularly without any problems from predators. IE (Bull Sharks and Reef Sharks) We hunt Snook, Grouper, Barracuda, and Jacks. Coming back stateside this summer and wondered if anyone had accomplished this task with the limited vis in N.E. waters. Of course I am spoiled down here with vis often around 100+ feet at 15 meters. Look foward to N.E. Lobster again as well. Stuck with Caribbean lobster..just not the same. But always fun either way.
Guess I'll have to update my 2 mil shorty...ha, our water temp here is usually 81 degrees.

CPT D

Alot of my buddies spearfihs for cod and tatog, mostly while free diving. People like to go down to RI and shoot stripers as well.

Can't spearfish for stripers in MA. I've seen several articles recently talking about the freediving/spearfishing in RI. I think down around Newport/Jamestown areas. The only time I have ever been with scuba/spearfishermen was in California. I think the main target there was Sheepshead? Best bet would be to contact a RI dive shop. Good luck.

LobstaMan

Rhode Island is one of the major freedive spearfishing spots in the US. Obviously, Florida, Hawaii, and California are bigger, but RI must be around 4th or 5th. The national freedive spearfishing championships are held in RI every few years. There were there last summer, I had fun talking with Rene Rojas (from California and (past?) member of the US national team) in a local dive shop the weekend before the championships.

Block Island reportedly has the best fishing in the area.

Divers also hunt in NH where striper spearing is allowed.

Send me an email if you would like contacts with the local freedivers.

Ralph

I only spearfish for flounder up here, but that's not to say I wouldn't take a cod or other tasty fish if there was a target of opportunity.

That sounds like a great start. When I leave here from Active Duty, I'm going back to the "Granite State" Cod and Flounder sounds good. To find a nice size Striper would be Great too. R.I. Freedive Spearfishing..Nice..The only time I hold My breath is in the pool though.

Thanks Guys

CPT D

You can spearfish for tuna and dolphin in the summer if you have access to a boat. You get eddies fromt the gulf stream south of the Vineyard in the summer time. The big fish follow. This means diving in very deep water though. The fish are near the surface, but you could easily have a thousand feet of water below you.

Of course you are referring to the dolphin fish. PETA wouldn't like you spearfishing for the dolphin mammal. But, they probably don't agree with spearfishing in general either. :wink:

LobstaMan

edm:
You can spearfish for tuna and dolphin in the summer if you have access to a boat. You get eddies fromt the gulf stream south of the Vineyard in the summer time. The big fish follow. This means diving in very deep water though. The fish are near the surface, but you could easily have a thousand feet of water below you.

I know spearing bluefin tuna is illegal on the East Coast of the USA. Bonito are ok. You may want to check State and Federal law before hunting tuna on the East Coast.

Ralph

How about the New England Aquarium Dives...do You think they would bum out if You showed up for one of their Dives with a Speargun. Or maybe just go to the Aquarium with a Speargun..That would be fun..but in all honesty..thanks for the info gang. I'm looking forward to Diving New England this summer. Damn, 18 months in the Caribbean, 81 to 86 degree water..I'm going to need a therapist. Take care everyone..

Back
Top Bottom