Speared Eagle Ray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
dead_ray_1.jpg

This ray was found early Saturday morning floating in the Honokohau Harbor wrapped around a morning ball with the line that was attached to the spear within it's back.

Check out this blog for more info: KonaCPR, CPR Class in Kona Hawaii

I think they should make the Mantas and Eagle Rays protected species... The blog discusses these issues and how DLNR is against it...

Sean

I'd sign any petition protecting any and all rays in Hawaii. And punishments should be severe for any marine animal speared and then not eaten.

I've seen a couple different mantas that had gotten wrapped up in mooring lines and died out at Molokini.

Is it possible that somebody came upon such a situation with the eagle ray and speared the ray to end its misery ??

I thought the blog said the spear line was what got caught on the mooring line.

That's terrible and such a shame. I hate seeing things like that. Who removed it from the water? I thought I heard somewhere that eagle rays (and Mantas) were protected here in Hawaii? Anyone know?

Manta Pacific
Wikipedia says the Spotted Eagle Ray is threatened also.

My son and I were diving this very spot last week. These images are from 3/26 (wednesday). Could have been one of these beautiful animals that was killed. Sad does not begin to describe my feelings.
_DSC7356_small.jpg

_DSC7358_small.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom