Spear Injury - proper first aid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good set of bolt cutters should work for that. It's important not to cut flush with the skin, if you're ever in this situation or one like it. Do NOT remove the foreign body -- it may be tamponading significant arterial bleeding.

Understand - we were told that, but all our examples were like one foot long. So, cut this leaving 6-8" for the docs.

Lynn, as you know, on a horse, you make a cross on the rump when giving a shot to stay away from the femoral artery/sciatic nerve. Is there a rule of thumb for human rumps also?

Carp! You just gave me a sympathy pain! :cussing:

Yes, I know the photo is kind of funny even as you are saying "Ouch". But honest question -

What does one do with this?
I would have done exactly what they did...TAKE THE PICTURE! Of course he is already being cared for and it is not a life threatening injury.

We just had something similar happen, although I do not believe he was shot but instead forced against his own spear. Henry 1 is our local Sheriffs helo that at one point they considered getting rid of due to budget constraints. They have rescued a lot of people and assisted the police in many instances.

Second Henry-1 rescue of the day - SPEAR GUN INJURY AT FORT ROSS

Later the same day, at approximately 2:19 PM, "Henry-1," Sonoma County Resident deputies, State Parks, and the Timber Cove Fire Department responded to 19005 Highway 1, Fort Ross for a reported diver in distress with a spear gun injury.

Emergency personnel were able to make their way down to the diver, a 45-year-old San Francisco resident, who was sitting on the rocks below a 75-foot cliff with a spear stuck in his upper left leg. The patient stated he and his friends were spear fishing in the ocean and he was on his way onto shore. He was holding the spear gun in his hand when he was hit with a wave which slammed him up against the rocks, causing the spear gun to pierce his own leg.

Due to the nature of the traumatic injury and the location of the patient, the Henry-1 crew set up for a "long line" rescue. Pilot Paul Bradley flew Rescue Medic Gavin Illingworth on the bottom of the 100-foot line to the patient below. The patient was flown to the top of the bluff above then loaded into the helicopter and flown directly to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital.

Reactions: Jax
The spear shafts are hardened steel, at least the Rob Allen brand are. A bolt cutter should work, although I've shortened a spear before and used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. The shaft material was very hard.

Drilling the shaft for the flopper install was pretty difficult, due to the hardness of the metal.

Your supposed to unload the bands before getting back on the boat or making a shore exit, this guy didn't know that it would seem. A lot of spearos are self taught, so he probably never received that advice.

-Mitch

Generally, who ever did the shooting has to do the cleaning and filleting, but I guess if you tip the crew they might handle it for ya. Better check to make sure he was in season, or you have to toss him back.

Leave it in place and transport to the hospital. That is a serious wound that needs to be thorough cleaned and the poor victim needs pain control and antibiotics.

The spear shafts are hardened steel, at least the Rob Allen brand are. A bolt cutter should work, although I've shortened a spear before and used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. The shaft material was very hard.

Drilling the shaft for the flopper install was pretty difficult, due to the hardness of the metal.

Your supposed to unload the bands before getting back on the boat or making a shore exit, this guy didn't know that it would seem. A lot of spearos are self taught, so he probably never received that advice.

-Mitch

Thanks, Mitch. I wondered about that, and figured that would be some tough stainless. I know a similar discussion ensued when a guy got shot with an arrow, and basically, they said cut it down to 8" so a bump wouldn't kill the guy. That pic had the guy shot in the eye.

I imagine whatever you do, you won't have it on the boat. That would be an interesting Mayday -- anyone got bolt cutters?

Generally, who ever did the shooting has to do the cleaning and filleting, but I guess if you tip the crew they might handle it for ya. Better check to make sure he was in season, or you have to toss him back.

I can only imagine what kind of poop this guy is going to get from his friends.

I guess the guy who shot him in the ass is getting his part of it too :p

Yeah, I cannot even begin to understand how that could happen -- but the fellow looks damn lucky, because it missed the spine and is firmly in the glut.

Back
Top Bottom