Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume you are attempting to use humor to avoid the substance of my post?

I was, in fact, trying to lighten the mood in an otherwise rather aggressive thread. Obviously, I failed at that, and I apologize. Sincerely.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I was, in fact, trying to lighten the mood in an otherwise rather aggressive thread. Obviously, I failed at that, and I apologize. Sincerely.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Actually humor is a step in the right direction, we all need more of that at this point!

This thread is out of control. The original question posted by the OP was silly to begin with. This has nothing to do with underwater hunting anymore and never really did in the first place.

Lets let this thread die.

Or live a long and unnatural life in the pub....

I had a little fun & let my smart assery out, but it is a serious topic. the OP asked about using spearguns and pole spears for self defense at home.

Can they be used? yep. for that matter, anything you can get your hands on can be used, including any weapons the intruder has, if you can get control of them.

I spear fish. i have big honking spear guns, I have a bunch of pole spears. If one of them was the closest thing at hand in time of need, yeah, I might grab one. It wouldn't be my first choice, though.

A simple burglary, maybe the goob doesn't intend any violence. Might not even be capable or willing, they just to steal the stuff that took you an irreplaceable part of your life to earn. I'd prefer they didn't get it 7 if I scare them enough to leave that's OK. Or maybe they don't want to leave & decide to fight about it. well, in that case I'd rather that I won, not them & I feel no obligation to go toe to toe with anyone who thins they have the right to make me. So if I can, I'll prolly just shoot them. People who think breaking into homes is a cool carreer path should take note of that: At some point you may well run into a resident who refuses to fight fair & you may even die as a consequence of your choices.

Then there's what we call a home invasion. This is a violent attack. One or usually more criminals choose a home to force their way into in order to have their idea of fun. This includes inflicting violence on the residents that may include rape & murder. sorry if my point of view bothers anyones sensibilities here, but why the hell should I see anyone who chooses to do that as anything less than human? I'm supposed to be so concerned for their humanity that I'm to place that before protecting my family? Hell, I've shot deer that I have more respect for than I hold for such people.

Again, anyone thinking that it's a good idea to deliver violence to people for fun, there are those of us out here who have no interest in playing your game, your way. We have our own notions of how that game should be played.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2015 at 08:23 AM ----------

You are walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.

Suddenly a Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at your family...

You are carrying a Kimber 1911 cal. 45 ACP, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your Family. What do you do?

Democrat's Answer:

• Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!

• What is a Kimber 1911 cal. 45 ACP?

• Does the man look poor or oppressed?

• Is he really a terrorist? Am I guilty of profiling?

• Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?

• Could we run away?

• What does my wife think?

• What about the kids?

• Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?

• What does the law say about this situation?

• Does the pistol have appropriate safety built into it?

• Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?

• Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?

• Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?

• If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?

• Should I call 9-1-1?

• Why is this street so deserted?

• We need to raise taxes, have paint & weed day.

• Can we make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.

• I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus.

• This is all so confusing!

Republican's Answer:
BANG!

Redneck's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Click..... (Sounds of reloading)

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Click

Daughter: 'Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?!'

Son: 'Can I shoot the next one?!'

Wife: 'You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist! We goin' to barbeque that sucker. Some fine tastin' meat!'

You had me until you descended into idiocy. The guy with the big knife is not likely to be a "Terrorist" He is far more likely to be a drunken redneck who thinks you have taken his parking space.

Describing the silly wimpy reactions as coming from a "Democrat" is just narrow minded fly-over state parochialism, the kind of thing festering in the brains of people with bad teeth who roll on the floor of tarpaper shacks on Sundays speaking in tongues.

I'm not interested in tricked out Kimbers or any other 1911 modification. I much prefer a deep blue 1911 pre-war government model. I can hit quarters with mine at 100 feet more often than not. Freehand.

I have no use for either political party, but if I had to choose I certainly would not go near the elephants, the party of the two digit IQ.

A couple of the anti-gun religion, have suggested that crooks are going to be more effective than we will be, in using guns and in an attack. Of course, this ignores brains or training....something typically defective in crooks..
This clip from Code of Silence, could just as easily be any bar full of Texans..with some moron crooks thinking that they can prey on the local population :

[video=youtube_share;3GAgIBgOA3M]http://youtu.be/3GAgIBgOA3M[/video]

Storker, you wanted some humour..your wish is my command :)

meh, the dems are where most of the anti gunners make their home. It's a bit of comedy that's been around many years, has also been written as "liberal/conservative/southern conservative" and other variants.

some people just like to bitch. they'd gripe if you hung them with a new rope.

I can't find the clip, but this all puts me in mind of the King Of The Hill

"Guns have been around for years. I just think if they were dangerous, someone woulda said something..."

Ok. We have officially descended into the pub. Sheesh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom