Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no seriously you guys are earnestly discussing different ways to murder people in your hypothetical violence fantasies and see absolutely no problem with keeping lethal weapons strewn about the house it's actually mind boggling

only in America

---------- Post added January 10th, 2015 at 11:50 PM ----------

not having a go I've just never interacted with Gun Culture directly before

No, we are discussing different ways to prevent a bad guy from murdering you, your spouse, your children, your dog, and your goldfish.
Defending yourself isn't murder. Allowing yourself to be a victim is idiocy.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

nah sorry dude you can't accuse an unarmed home owner of idiocy in the same post that allude to keeping deadly weapons in the same household as your children

it's just an inherently warped, and dangerous, mindset. In Australia we did a buyback of almost all firearms back in '96 and gun violence is pretty much a non issue here. a home invasion involving guns is staggeringly rare and would make headlines. It's certainly not a scenario any sane person would start arming themselves to prepare for since by doing so YOU are introducing a terrible potential danger to your own family and frankly that's inexcusable

Again, you are incorrect. Nobody has lethal weapons "strewn" about the house. If I am not mistaken, people have them in places they are readily accessible when needed. There are no violent fantasies, the discussion involves the preferred weapon for defending themselves and their property. We have the right to do so in America, other places do not. Believe it or not, I don't personally know anybody who has had to use a weapon though I have read reports of it happening.

Take a deep breath and calm down. As excitable as you seem to be, it's probably best you don't have the right to own a firearm.

no seriously you guys are earnestly discussing different ways to murder people in your hypothetical violence fantasies and see absolutely no problem with keeping lethal weapons strewn about the house it's actually mind boggling

only in America

---------- Post added January 10th, 2015 at 11:50 PM ----------

not having a go I've just never interacted with Gun Culture directly before

"readily accessible"?

yeah nah mate that's completely reckless. The only acceptable storage for a firearm is locked in a safe and kept unloaded. safety 101

Yep readily accessible.

You don't know where it is, but I do. How do you know it isn't in a gun safe with the bio lock? Before you accuse me of being reckless you may want to ask.

An unloaded gun in a locked safe is pretty much useless.

Actually safety 101 is assume every firearm is loaded and handle it appropriately. Gun safes aren't until chapter 2 or maybe 3.

we're also an odd lot that don't have multiple gun related killing sprees every year so I'll just let you join the dots on that one

Whatever makes you happy. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

we're also an odd lot that don't have multiple gun related killing sprees every year so I'll just let you join the dots on that one

sorry I should stop fanning the fires here as I know full well I'm not going change any minds here, but...

aren't you at all concerned about your kids finding daddy's secret gun stash? what's the point in having the gun? everyone goes on about SELF DEFENSE AGAINST BAD GUYS but cmon, in the hugely unlikely scenario somebody breaks in you're gonna be the hero and either a) straight up kill someone (well done!) or b) become a dead father (the kids will be fine right?) and you're risking that for the sake of possessions? just let the hypothetical scumbag take your ****, don't die, claim it back on insurance and move on. You keep deadly weapons for this ludicrous scenario and by doing so introduce a very real risk that your kid finds your guns, blows themself /their buddy to hell

SURELY there is a greater likelihood of indirectly killing your own kids than there is of you saving them from an intruder

(I'm generalising here btw, not talking specifically about old mate dmoore19)

As I was growing up there were always loaded guns in the house. We were taught gun safety and thought nothing of them being in the house as it was quite normal where I grew up. Nobody got killed, my sister and I are both alive and well thank you.

As my daughter was growing up there was always loaded guns in the house. She never bothered them and knew very well how to properly handle them. There are no kids in my home any longer, they have grown up and moved away. All but 1 firearm is in a safe, the one is loaded and accessible if I need it. I have never needed it, and hope not to ever need it.

That said, there are several opinions on the best weapon, my preference would be either my 9 MM or my .45 semi auto pistol. Either is well suited for the task IMO. Much more so than a pole spear, but in a pinch that would be better than nothing.

sorry I should stop fanning the fires here as I know full well I'm not going change any minds here, but...

You won't change our minds, not because we are stupid or greedy, but many Americans have a stubborn streak of individualism and self reliance. We trust ourselves as the last line of protection rather than the government Firearms are merely a tool to accomplish that. Europeans have a rather long history of killing each other in very large numbers, I would site too high on my horse. Europeans IMO rely too much on their governments. Their governments in turn rely on other countries rescue them, both in time of war and economic issues. We solve our own issues (sometimes slowly), our biggest problems occur when we try to help other people solve theirs by playing global policeman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom