Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To each his or her own. My challenge would be determining which gun I'd choose to use.:wink:

As to the "warning shot" issue: no one says that has to be the first shot, right? I'd prefer to have completed the job and take the time to carefully contemplate a safe trajectory to imbed the requisite round. Bullets do tend to carry further than one might think. But then, what kind of lunatic law requires a "warning shot?"

Just my .02 on a thread that's been damned entertaining thus far...

This discussion reminds me of a couples of rules I learned from Red Green, the Canadian Comedian.

Any tool can be the right tool applies here, right next to measure once, cut twice and beat into place

We have been developing ever more deadly and effective weapons at an astonishing (and scarey) pace. Using obsolete technology is interesting, a game and sometimes a useful skill in a survival situation. No more.

---------- Post added January 4th, 2015 at 09:43 AM ----------

https://www.thegunbox.com/product.php?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bingnonbrand

Biometric Gun safe.....instant access when you need it...kids can't get access to the gun, no matter what.

Suddenly, the gun might be possible...hmmm ?

I have a similar one. Batteries are an issue, but it works. I have mine coded so my wife and I can open via finger print scan. Has a back up combination if the batteries die. Only issue is they could probably pry it off the wall given 10 minutes and a crow bar. The anti-gun nuts have one good argument and that is poor storage or handling of firearms can create deadly accidents, both entirely curable.

Does anyone else keep their pole spear or spear gun handy for a second use as a weapon for home defense?

I always keep my spear gun next to my bed as well as a sharp pole spear as a home protection measure.
I don't have the spear gun loaded, but I can do it very quickly if I had to. I always maintain the tip on it very sharp.
My pole spear is a 5 foot jbl also has a very sharp tip on it, and it would probably be my first choice because it is longer and just as lethal.

Its seems perfectly good to have this instead of a loaded gun in your bed room, as long as the spear gun is not loaded.

Would you or do you do this? If not, I would like to know why would it be a bad idea.

Ok for those of you chimed in and thought it was a bad idea. I would have to say I did ask for your inputs on that.Although the first natural reaction is to defend my point I also have to remember that I asked for those who disagreed to give me their thoughts and they did, and for that I'm glad they chimed in. Sounds crazy but its true.
My goal was to gather as much input on this and peoples feelings on this topic. As you can see it is quite obvious the response was overwhelming the support of sticking with the gun as a weapon of choice to use as home defense no matter what, get trained on it and invest in a finger coded security gun holding device (especially if you have children). I think that is a reasonably wise choice. I don't see anything wrong with this advice.

In addition these devices are intended for use underwater and as such should be referred to only that. From what I gathered this was the sentiment among most on this thread, something I was not prepared for but have now reluctantly understood.

Now, I think its safe to say we can conclude this topic on that note and want to thank all those who chimed in and gave me their thoughts.

Last edited:
https://www.thegunbox.com/product.php?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bingnonbrand

Biometric Gun safe.....instant access when you need it...kids can't get access to the gun, no matter what.

Suddenly, the gun might be possible...hmmm ?

Not so crazy about eh biometric safes. I know they're improving, but they still miss too often.
I have one of THESE by the bedside for a silenced Glock 41. Sue uses one of THESE for her Glock 26.

Bullets do tend to carry further than one might think.

Hollow tips are made for that reason - they split upon impact - that slows the fragments down. It may go through one wall if it does not hit a stud but it should not go through both walls.
Gun Control is hitting your target. :D

Hollow tips are made for that reason - they split upon impact - that slows the fragments down.

This is incorrect. Hollow points mushroom on impact; they do not split. Frangible ammo does split, but that is a very limited use ammo, in large part because it's not very effective.

It may go through one wall if it does not hit a stud but it should not go through both walls.

Absolutely false. Any modern defensive ammo will absolutely deliver a potentially fatal wound after going through a typical sheetrock wall. Anything that won't isn't worth shooting, because it's not going to be effective.

[video=youtube;PcCDSPu6Ldk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcCDSPu6Ldk[/video]

Gun Control is hitting your target. :D

True enough, as far as it goes.
You're not actually a shooter, are you?

Ideal (quality) ammo for handguns ideally penetrates around 10 inches into human tissue.

Hornady makes both Critical Defense and Critical Duty rounds. The critical defense is pretty close to the 10 inch ideal, tends to expand nicely and pretty good at what it is designed for. Even that will go right through a wall.
The critical duty round is marketed for LEOs and similar, it is made to penetrate modest cover, car windshields, etc...

Unfortunately, despite all the engineering that goes into modern ammo, predicting what it does in the real world is tough. Bodies are made of hard and soft parts, bullets hit objects at angles, etc... Its a wild ass guess is to how far anything will penetrate in the real world.

The FBI standard, which was derived from ballistics gel testing and forensic evidence from real wounds, is 12-18 inches of penetration.

The Critical Defense and Duty are identical except for bullet weight. In 9mm they are 115 and 135 grain, respectively. Penetration tests are identical.

Back
Top Bottom