Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you think about refering to cross bow a spear gun is on the same lines as this type of weapon. It is also something that I ORIGINALLY had asked to consider because it was already an item that some divers already haqve and are comfortable and experienced in using. It is more practical because I have never even used a CROSS BOW, I doubt many other divers have one in their home either.

Actually, I have an 80# crossbow pistol, a couple of bows, couple of shotguns, and a rifle - no speargun.

Something else I just thought of. If you want a non-lethal take down that wasp & yellow jacket stuff that sprays 20' or more in the guys eyes would put him down. Probably get sued though.

That's exactly what I'm thinking! Except I would not hesitate to shoot the bastard!

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 07:50 PM ----------

OH ya, back up finally! My thoughts exactly! I think some of these guys probably aren't comfortable using a spear gun or have no experience using a spear gun. That would explain their insecurities towards this weapon.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 08:03 PM ----------

I think you really made it very hard for the gun only crowd to dispute that one. Hey thanks for posting that pic!

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 08:06 PM ----------

You should really try to read some of these, especially the guy in the video, project butterscotch, terribly hilarious!

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 08:17 PM ----------

I am going to assume this is a joke, because its making me laugh pretty good. The last thing I will ever do is give my ENEMY a warning shot , therefore putting me and my family's safety in jeopardy. Who gives a @@@@@%%%%%#####&&&&(()) about the intruder.
I was just putting that out there because I know at one time that was the way you had to do it to avoid issue. I didn't say I would either. You can bet your ass on the corner I would shoot to kill someone walking past my driveway if I felt they posed a threat to my family.

Dont you keep hoping that some bleeding heart liberal pops their head up here, insisting that mothers everywhere, should not be constantly afraid that their sons will be killed in a burglary attempt?
I'd also settle for the crowd that believes it's wrong to take a life, for any reason. :)
We could use some more comic relief :)

sign.jpg

Attachments

• racistedit1.jpg
    racistedit1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 80
  • racistedit1.jpg
    racistedit1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
When Pat Frain of Ultimate Dive Products asked me to test some of his 444 marlin powerheads, back around 1990 or so, the idea was to see what kind of "lights out" power it would have on a big fish...
The first time I got to try one, was on a dive when I had a huge great barracuda following me, definitely well over 7 feet long and very thick.... a very smart fish, that was watching me hunt the big Hogsnapper I was following, and he was certainly planning on stealing my fish.....He kept about 4 feet above me and about 5 feet behind me...just tucked back in a pocket, where when I shot something, he could take it off the spear in an instant...
So I did give him a warning, that this was not going to work out well for him....as I approached the hog, and the big cuda moved in a bit closer, I waved the double barrel speargun at him like a rolled up newspaper at a bad dog....several times over about a minute...he would not leave...So I put on the 444 powerhead, and suddenly swam up and back behind him--so looking down on him, and aimed the shot at him just behind the head along the big spine.... I did not really know what the 444 was going to do.....As I pulled the trigger, the first reaction I got was the shock wave of an explosion so severe, it was like chuck Norris just side kicked me in the chest....It almost knocked the wind out of me....Then, I could not see anything....the water was all gray and full of blood and bits....and as it cleared, the head had fallen off the big cuda like the front of a landing craft being lowered to allow jeeps to drive out of it...with a huge gaping hole left the cuda was pretty much cut in 2.

So as an intruder round, the 444 marlin would most certainly make a large "see through hole" where it went in to "center mass", and probably a much larger hole on the back side of the intruder...You would also have a big hole in the wall behind them, but there would be no 2nd effort by the intruder to get off an attack after your 1st shot...they would be gone the moment you pulled the trigger in this point blank range powerhead scenario.

And as a smart spearo, you would be following the Sun Tsu concept of lying in wait for the ignorant burgler, letting them come to you for the ideal ambush shot....there would be no issue of needing to suddenly spin long gun....This is your house, you know where to set up your shot, they don't know where you or anything else is. The only real issue is that you need to have doors and windows well burgler protected enough so that it takes time for a burgler to get through them, and makes plenty of noise....Huricaine glass for your windows is a good start..they won't be getting through any windows...."Real doors" and reinforced door frames...etc. If some evil burgler ever makes it through into your house, the family is in the safe room, and you are already lined up for a great shot at one of your ideal hunting locations....like a "hunting hide" :)

If anyone breaks in, they will deserve what happens next. It would be a righteous kill :)

I doubt you are going to here any of these guys to dispute this one. I totally forgot about this option(444 marlin round) its a slam dunk!

In my situation, I have a relatively short spear gun the jbl 38 special. Its quite practical , making it very easy and quick to pull down the bands, and also maneuver. But this tip would be a great addition for me, I will definitely be getting this.

OK guys bring it on I got more ammo now!!!

I doubt you are going to here any of these guys to dispute this one. I totally forgot about this option(444 marlin round) its a slam dunk! In my situation, I have a relatively short spear gun the jbl 38 special. Its quite practical , making it very easy and quick to pull down the bands, and also maneuver. But this tip would be a great addition for me, I will definitely be getting this. OK guys bring it on I got more ammo now!!!
You don't want a gun around the house because of safety issues but don't have a problem with a loaded power head on your speargun?

I feel well equipped with my Samurai sword. I've had a lot of practice with Kendo. The sword is authentic WW2 production and not an antique, but wicked sharp.

As a fallback. I have a 1910 Winchester semi-auto carbine in .401 caliber. My greatest hesitation in using the old Winchester is the extremely expensive ammunition. I only have 23 rounds available, and clean .401 ammo is nearly impossible to find, so the sword will be my first choice if faced with an intruder so crazed on crack that birdshot .38 might not do the trick.

You don't want a gun around the house because of safety issues but don't have a problem with a loaded power head on your speargun?

I will have to consider this point , I definitely don't want the tip to be a potential hazard. Maybe I will just shoot my flogger tip instead.

Thanks, I need to consider all aspects. I still like the idea of the power of this tip. I would most likely have it as an optional tip or if it can be installed quickly perhaps I would do it when I need too.

I will have to consider this point , I definitely don't want the tip to be a potential hazard. Maybe I will just shoot my flogger tip instead. Thanks, I need to consider all aspects. I still like the idea of the power of this tip. I would most likely have it as an optional tip or if it can be installed quickly perhaps I would do it when I need too.

Another thing to consider, if you miss with a power head and hit drywall with a stud behind it, that spear will be propelled back with a lot of power and force, it could end up impaling you with the dull end.

Get a gun before you end up killing yourself, misusing things for which they weren't designed

Another thing to consider, if you miss and hit drywall with a stud behind it, that spear will be propelled back with a lot of power and could end up impaling you with the dull end. Get a gun before you kill yourself
That actually could happen.....I have seen a spear thrown back when a powerhead hit a rock instead of a fish....So while the 444 is instant on, a spear hitting a concrete wall instead of the intruder, would be very bad....then again, if you are lying in wait, and you cant hit that large a target, then the problem is with the person shooting :)

I think this is all pretty academic at this point......If I was to make a bet, it would be that the OP will find a way to get some kind of real gun.

That actually could happen.....I have seen a spear thrown back when a powerhead hit a rock instead of a fish....So while the 444 is instant on, a spear hitting a concrete wall instead of the intruder, would be very bad....then again, if you are lying in wait, and you cant hit that large a target, then the problem is with the person shooting :)

I think this is all pretty academic at this point......If I was to make a bet, it would be that the OP will find a way to get some kind of real gun.

Well if that is the case, and now that I have had time to mull over everyone's inputs I think my best option other than purchasing a handgun would be to use the Pole spear. Whats wrong with that weapon its still has a nasty sharp flogger tip on it, and is very easy to use. I would be using like a spear, thrusting it into the intruder.

REMEMBER I AM NOT PURCHASING A GUN at this time, in my case its for the sake of my kids and their friends saftey, and others who cannot have a gun ( personal or laws of a particular country) are in the same position.As divers they may already have something in their home which can put down an intruder, a pole spear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom