Speaking of being sued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parrothead_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There has been quite a bit of discussion lately about being sued and liability.

See related thread

This has got me thinking. I belong to a Non-Profit social/charity orginization that charges an annual membership fee in order to cover operating costs. Within this group there are about a dozen of us that are certified divers including 1 Rescue Diver, 1 DM, & 1 Instructor. We are in the process of planning a "Non Club Orginized" dive. But, we have been using the offical club listserv to handle all communication regarding the dive.

Every message that I have posted to the listserv I have ended with the following statement:

This dive is a non-club sanctioned event. All divers should be certified and should be responsible for their own decision regarding diving. This decision should be based on current conditions and each divers own comfort level and experiance. As part of this dive, there may be divers present whom have certification levels of Dive Master and/or Instructor, but these divers will not be acting in any form of an offical capacity. Please plan and dive accordingly.

I plan on making a similar announcement prior to entering the water. Just to ensure that everbody understands that the club has no offical ties to this event.

So my questions are:
1) Are we (the club) adequitely covered? Or should we have some kind of offical release prepared? And if the club does have some kind of release prepared, doesn't that act make it a club event?
2) What about me personally?

Back
Top Bottom