spare mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice. I've never seen those before. Are they much bigger than the DUI pockets?

Looks like George's "No zippers on pockets" thing has been thrown out the window.

I use it to put cookies and arrows in on EXIT, because it's faster than a pig tail. Still don't trust them, so I don't take anything I would need on/during a dive.

Wet suit pockets solve a lot of storage issues.

The do indeed. Wasn't much trouble installing them either.

The *new* DUI pockets are almost identical to the Halcyon BAP Explorer pockets. Close enough that one might think there is some agreement to use the design. The DUI pockets have a few differences that may be nice: the zippered pocket on the lid doesn't have the mesh the H pocket has. Some has told me the mesh wears out and starts to rip. No personal experience.

Henrik

Has anyone really needed a backup mask on a dive? I don't mean because you lost one on the surface, or during a course, I want to hear if anyone actually lost a mask way back in a cave or halfway through a dive? And if so why couldn't your buddy just get it for you to put back on?

I usually bring a spare. At a minimum, we have one in the team for really easy dives. Definitely for bigger dives (all in cold water). I've needed it once when a strap broke as I was about to enter from shore. The hike back across the beach, up a bunch of stairs, and a half mile back to the truck would have sucked. Glad I had the spare.

Never any issues in the water, but a friend did have his mask delaminate on a dive. Having a spare made things easier (45F water), but I'm sure we could have gotten out without one.

Has anyone really needed a backup mask on a dive? I don't mean because you lost one on the surface, or during a course, I want to hear if anyone actually lost a mask way back in a cave or halfway through a dive? And if so why couldn't your buddy just get it for you to put back on?
Yes twice.. I had an aqualung mask that was leaking around the nose pocket at the start of the dive. I kept clearing but it was still leaking so I started messing with the adjustent and actually pulled the skirt away from the frame.
I had another mask, similar conditions slight leak which would not stop. After the dive I found a small split in the bottom of the nose pocket. I always dive with a backup but I always dive CCR and can not rely on touch contact when PO2 monitoring is essential.

as others have said already it's not really about dropping it. it's about any number of other issues that could come up with a mask or mask strap.
I frequently do dives where exiting without a mask isn't going to be a viable option.

Yep.

Looks like George's "No zippers on pockets" thing has been thrown out the window.

I don't use mine, really. Gets used for car keys by some. I used those pockets once to stash something I picked up on a dive that didn't have any convenient method of attachment to anything and would have gotten lost. So, don't think it got thrown out the window, it just got modified... the big pocket where everything goes that you need on a dive is still velcro...

I use to use it for my car key when shore diving.

Unfortunately, the plastic zipper broke last year when I was climbing over the side of a panga.

The best pocket I've seen is the new Light Monkey one. I'd add those over the H Explorer one on my next suit.

I don't use mine, really. Gets used for car keys by some. I used those pockets once to stash something I picked up on a dive that didn't have any convenient method of attachment to anything and would have gotten lost. So, don't think it got thrown out the window, it just got modified... the big pocket where everything goes that you need on a dive is still velcro...

I know a couple of people that had a mask shattered by nesting trigger fish in Malaysia. Personally, I always carry a spare mask since I always dive with pockets and the mask just lives there.

cool. I've never seen it so I can't comment.

halcyon makes two though, which one is the dui similar to? I happen to have both laying around:

nfyPc.jpg

duicargo.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom