Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
How many divers carry a spare backup mask?

but it's not a bad idea.

This brings up an interesting topic:

Is there a limit on redundancy? What is acceptable and what is overboard?

Is there such a thing as going overboard?

Spare bcd, valve, regulator?

I am new, so my only spare items are shears, knife, moutpiece, mask strap and fin strap.

I plan to add a light and computer battery when mine gets to about 1/3 power.

Good question - whats TOO much and whats still within safe parameters? According to my DIRF's book, even GUE supports backup masks!
I'll

In divebag on the boat/shore along with spare reg with guages and a goody bag of incidentals. Not in the water. In the water I carry enough backup to get to the surface safely and get ready for the next recreational dive.

A spare mask is more of a consideration when you're 3 miles from daylight in a cave, than it is 60 feet on a reef. A spare mask strap in the save-a-dive kit is plenty enough redundancy for most people's needs. Spare masks should be carried when losing a mask could be life threatening, not an inconvenience. Losing a mask in a cave or wreck penetration could be life threatening - losing a mask or breaking a strap during a shore entry, that's just inconvenient.

I actually have a spare mask, but would never carry it - it's just my old one I leave in my divebag because I recently bought a Cressi Big Eyes mask, and I figured that keeping the old mask as a spare would be more convenient than having to buy a new spare strap for the new mask. If you only have the one mask already, and you're not doing penetration dives, a spare strap should be enough for your needs.

hmmm...good point...

Left pocket... always there... don't need to remember to take it...
If I lose a mask I know were to get another.

Can't read my SPG without it... Can't read my depth gauge without it... Can't watch the little floaties in the water and control my ascent rate without it... Can't see without it.

Yeah Pug,
Thats my thought - how so I see my SPG and my Bottom Timer to do my safety stop at 15 ft if I can't see if I am AT 15 ft, and for how long?

I gotta see man....

I carry one (most of the time).

Back
Top Bottom