Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc:
Awww -- c'mon, there must be some out there who wish to argue FOR Spare Airs -- I want to hear both sides of the argument.

Alright, here goes.

I own a Spare Air. I'll admit I bought it on the spur of the moment, like the HydroOptix mask and the Seadoo scooter :wink:

It will get me to the surface from 30 meters (90 ft) with air to spare, though not if there are any deco obligations, obviously. The point is moot since I know from personal experience I can get to the surface without discomfort or barotrauma from 30 meters without any air. Again: Unless I need to do any stops.

In the dark and cold Dutch waters I dive with my own well-maintained gear, including tested and cleaned steel tanks. In an ideal world I would take those tanks along on diving trips abroad (and I have done so by car), but as it is I am lucky to get one set of regs and a Spare Air past the baggage checkin ladies without a massive surcharge.

I do feel the need for some backup air source when diving in Third World locations, having seen some pretty nasty stuff emerge from rental tanks and get stuck in my regs. It has been claimed here that a pony can be rented anywhere. I beg to differ. In the more adventurous tropical locations ponies aren't always available, even if I trusted the local rental regs. In these circumstances bringing a Spare Air is a cost effective alternative to looking for a proper pony.

Arthur

I find them good for little things around the boat. Example, I had just gotten on the boat the other day, had all my gear broken down and was taking off my wet suit. I pulled my wet suit sleeve off and my watch went with it and plunk, over board it went. I just took off my wet suit and put on my boots and fins, mask and snorkel, grabbed my spare air and recovered my watch in about 30'. They are great for things like that.

We also keep them aboard so our safety diver's can help out other divers near the suface or to just check on them quickly.

Would I use it to come up from 130'...................he-- no. Would I use it as a primary back up..........probably not, unless I was in shallow enough water to do an cesa in the first place.

WVDiver:
I find them good for little things around the boat. Example, I had just gotten on the boat the other day, had all my gear broken down and was taking off my wet suit. I pulled my wet suit sleeve off and my watch went with it and plunk, over board it went. I just took off my wet suit and put on my boots and fins, mask and snorkel, grabbed my spare air and recovered my watch in about 30'. They are great for things like that.

So you did a bounce dive with a spare air?

Took my Spear Air down to the Keys a few years ago. After some light hearted abuse from the boat crew I decided to give it a test at about 90 ft on the Duane. Got about 10 breaths out of it at that depth If I have an issue I don't want to add to the stress of wondering how many breaths I have left. I am a firm believer that a lot of issues occur from too rapid of an assent. Now have a 19cuft pony. Have tested my pony from 95 feet to surface with a good slow ascent including safety stop and still had half a tank. Since I often dive with a buddy I don't know so this works best for me.

lamont:
use a pony bottle (slung as a stage) or double tanks if you need the redundancy, and ideally just find better buddies and practice OOA drills. the tank on your buddies back should be your pony bottle, if you can't rely on them, you have a problem and you are technically solo diving.

I would never use a pony bottle on a simple recreational dive. On a 120 foot wreck (technically a recreational dive) where there is a chance that the team's gas plan can go sideways due to currents combined with bad viz, I would take a 40 cu ft deco bottle with EAN36 which can double as a pony bottle if the need arises. I can still use the bottle on my ascent and get some benefit of accelerated off gassing. If you use the Nitrox on the stops and treat it like air on the tables, you also increase your safety factor as well.

I agree that your buddy is the one with your "spare air," but I can also empathize with people who dive with unreliable instabuddies, although I don't dive that way myself.

Like most pieces of gear they have their place, you shouldn't try to compare a spare air to a pony anymore than you would compare a pony to dbls.
ArthurG is correct, I have been diving in places where pony's didn't exist and the Spare Air had it's place. I don't take mine to NFl cave diving, but it goes to Bonaire. Say what you want but I like my Spare Air, for SOME diving.

ArthurGerla:
In the more adventurous tropical locations ponies aren't always available, even if I trusted the local rental regs. In these circumstances bringing a Spare Air is a cost effective alternative to looking for a proper pony.

If you are bringing a Spare Air, why aren't you bringing your regulators? I've found doubles and deco bottles at every location that I've inquired including Cozumel, Bahamas and Bonaire. Granted these aren't the most adventurous places, but if something I needed was unavailable in a location, I would do what it takes to get all my essential gear there including paying for an additonal piece of luggage. I can't think of a better way to ruin your vacation than a chamber ride.

Michael Schlink:
I have been diving in places where pony's didn't exist and the Spare Air had it's place. I don't take mine to NFl cave diving, but it goes to Bonaire. Say what you want but I like my Spare Air, for SOME diving.

Bonaire had abundant "spare air." Just pick up one of the many AL 63 bottles of Nitrox at the diving resort. :D

erparamedic:
I think trucker girl will appreciate this. Thank you!!

You're right, I do.

Thanks for clearing that up Thalassamania- sometimes things don't translate so well on a computer screen (no body language, tone of voice/inflections, etc).

According to this, SpareAir says there are 21 ways to run out of air. Personally I think there should be 22, but I couldn't find "Run out of air (again) because my SpareAir was too small" on the list...

According to the "Story of SpareAir", it would appear that it was designed by someone who didn't gas plan, for people who don't gas plan.
SpareAir Website:
"One night I was lobster diving in the beautiful, clear cool waters off the coast of Catalina Island. After a short time, I realized I had failed to check my air supply. As I went to check it, I took a breath and discovered there wasn't one to be had. I panicked for a moment...got myself together and swam quickly toward the surface with the unnerving sense that it was too far away and I wouldn't make it! In this rush for the precious air far above at the surface, I began to black out...my only thought was... If I only had one more breath of air.

Larry Williamson was just a scuba diver on his first night dive when tragedy struck. Out of air at 140', with no back-up air system, and his buddy was too far away. He panicked for a moment and began racing to the surface.
(emphasis by me)

Seems like Mr. Larry Williamson might not have been in that situation had he NOT been on his (first!) night dive at 140' and if he had a good buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom