Spare Air VS Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rat314

Registered
Reaction score
Springfield, Missouri 30 Miles North of Branson Mo
I'm sure that this debate has been done in here, and debated to death at that.

I do intend to buy a Pony system as a redundant Air Supply but am considering also the purchase of a 6CF Spare Air to take on a trip to Cozumel next year.

Also, since my wife originates from the coastal regions of Georgia, and has relatives all over Florida I thought this smaller sytems might be handy to have as well for ease of travel.

I am looking at the purchase later of a Catalina S13 or even the 19Cf tank to be used when Solo diving here in the lakes of Missouri and Arkansas down to around the 40 Ft level.

I have read that some of the older Spare Air systems were hard to breathe off of at depth?
According to their website this problem has since been corrected and the updated systems are now much easier to use and breathe through.

Anyone had any experiences with these?

Would appreciate your input.

I recently bought a 19CF pony, will indeeed take it on travel.
There's a lot sbout the topic on this board -- use the Search button, then input "Spare Air".
My decision was based on what it does/has. 6CF = 1/13 of an AL80. Think of it as being similar to having an AL80 with 225 psi. Just not enough air for me to do anything effective. If I have a problem at any depth my air consumption is likely to bump when I first switch over to the backup supply (human nature there -- OOA is a "surprise"). So I have a spike in consumption, then need to make a safe ascent, preferably with 3 minute safety stop. That just isn't going to happen on 225 psi worth of air.
The 19CF pony is 1/4 tank -- similar to 750psi in an AL80. That does give me a decent amount of air to get back up in an orderly fashion.

The above is for me, and me only, trying to honestly assess what it would take to get my tail out of a whoops.

Definitely try that Search function -- Spare Air is a "hot button" kind of topic.

Good luck!

Markfm;
The pony tank option is my first choice, especially to use in my dives around the lakes in my area here in S.W. Missouri. In fact, I have checked into pricing and availability of a 19 CF pony and reg with my LDS.

I know the TSA requires all tanks to be empty, valves removed? and placed in checked luggage. And my only reasoning for even considering a spare air is in its portability for travel where a pony tank would be more cumbersome?

I do not yet solo dive but will some day, and like the idea of being more self sufficent and having the option to "Self Rescue" in an emergency situtaion to me is just good Scuba practice.
I have searched the forums and your right, Spare Air is a Hot button topic that I dont want to broach upon.

markfm:
I recently bought a 19CF pony, will indeeed take it on travel.

Go with the Pony, IMHO spare air at depth will not last as long as you think it would.

rat314:
but am considering also the purchase of a 6CF Spare Air to take on a trip to Cozumel next year.
Kidding right???????? Good one!! You almost got me!!! :D :D :D

I am looking at the purchase later of a Catalina S13 or even the 19Cf tank to be used when Solo diving here in the lakes of Missouri and Arkansas down to around the 40 Ft level..

Of course in my area (New Jersey), if you're diving singles the capts. and/or charter organizers require a "pony". (Yeah, they'll let you solo off a boat too here) But check the link below before making a decision and be aware that this chart isn't taking into effect a "panicked" diver who is OOA.
http://www.scubanaked.com/pony.html

There is no...vs......go pony. After having a 13 cuft...I wish i had gotten a 19cuft.

If you DO buy a SA....be sure its a newer model where you can take the valve off....or TSA is gonna be a real pain.

rich

I originally posted that I was seeking to purchase a 6cf Spare Air.
That is incorrect, sorry.
The 6 CF unit is actually the H2Odessy.
I have since my first post decided to go with the pony bottle and intend to purchase a 19 CF pony and mount it using a Pony Tamer bracket.
Thanks for the input.

If you're solo diving I wouldn't go any smaller than the 19cf. Consider slinging the tank on your side too. I have found it easier to access, don and remove mine if it is slung and you get used to it being there quickly.

After re-reading my original post I realized that I didn't point out that I didn't intend to use the Spare Air, or the H2Odessy for Solo diving.
I do intend to Solo one day, but for now I just don't have the experience to do so and be comfortable with it.
I do all my dives with a buddy currently and just want the option of self rescue, especially when diving with strangers.
I have decided against the Spare Air and the H2Odessy and will be purchasing a 19 CF Pony in the very near future.

Pony bottles. Ugh. The subject has been beaten to death but if you're determined to go down that road, consider a 40cf cylinder. It provides enough gas to get you to the surface from any recreational depth (the chart francousteau linked to uses a SAC rate of .75cfm, which is about half the rate you should plan on in an emergency) and it can be recycled as a deco bottle, should you ever need one.

Reinventing the wheel can be a fun thought exercise but also leads to mistakes. Most divers end up with a personal "Wall of Shame" that will grow to include any number of purchases they come to regret - pony bottles are common entries. When considering any solution to a problem, look around you and see how others have resolved the problem you are dealing with. You're going to see a wide range of solutions but pick the brains of the more experienced divers and ask them how they would deal with the problem if they had it to do over again - I think you'll find the most common answers to the redundant air supply are: (a) doubles, including small doubles if you don't need lots of gas, and; (b) H valves, or better yet, "Y" valves, and; (c) pony bottles of at least 30cf. Small pony bottles and the dread SpareAir probably won't make the list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom