Spare Air & traveling on plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rileymartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone recently taken a spare air on a plane in their carry on? Whas there anything special that had to be done? What about security?

Per TSA: Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed....

Personally, I would not hassle with a spare air as carry on. Security rules change all the time for carry on and vary from airport to airport. I check my small pony all the time, no problems. Save my carry on space for valuable gear.

I never thought about bringing my pony bottle. Do you empty it all the way or down to a certain PSI to reduce weight? Do you have to worry about the burst valve and the reduced air pressure in the cargo hold of the plane?

My pony is 17cuft. It's not a 40 but it still seems a bit large even to take in the check in luggage.

I never thought about bringing my pony bottle. Do you empty it all the way or down to a certain PSI to reduce weight? Do you have to worry about the burst valve and the reduced air pressure in the cargo hold of the plane?

My pony is 17cuft. It's not a 40 but it still seems a bit large even to take in the check in luggage.

I am not sure how to make it more clear. The tank must be OPEN to the world. Depressurized, valve removed and tank open so any inspector can see inside. I have gotton away with leaving a plastic plug in place to reduce the chance of moist air condensing inside. Others have covered the opening with clear plastic wrap. Both could be a technical violation, but seem to work.

There is no reason you cannot check full sized tanks, other than the cost of extra checked bags and the hassle of getting a VIP on the other end outweigh the savings (pun intended). With SA and small pony tanks, you transfill and forget the VIP.

Last edited:
I think I understand. With the Spare Air I see the kits that come with an adapter so you can fill them from your main tank. I guess with a pony you put the valve back in and there is a similar adapter you can buy to do the 'transfil' rather than get a fill from a dive shop which would require a VIP before filling?

Exactly.

An old conversation, yet still fun.

I have spoken to TSA HQ on two occassions and with numerous TSA Customer Reps.

The interesting thing about the converstations with HQ is that they will tell you the written rules mean absolutely nothing. An agent "on the ground" can modify them at any time they wish if they feel it will make passengers safer.

EVERY TSA Customer Rep at numerous airports have told me that it may be in writing you can take a de-valved pony on board as carry on.....but it isnt happening on their watch at their airport. I know some will come on and say they just took a pony on board and I am happy for you. I am just passing on what I was told and my experiences.

I just came back from Bonaire and I checked my 13 cuft pony and it showed up in Bonaire and back home as well. I carried on board my computers, regs and BP&W in a computer style bag..... and they didnt even ask me to open the reg or BP&W bag.

I would always recommend to check the tank, take the valve OUT and cover with clear plastic and tape it in place. I got a nasty gram from a TSA checked bag checker one time saying he would only take the green plug out once. On the return trip if he couldn't see in the tank without taking out anything...plug or valve....he would confiscate the bottle. At least he ...she...gave me a second chance. So, I use clear plastic and tape it in place.

You do what you want to do and what your wallet can afford.

Has anyone recently taken a spare air on a plane in their carry on? Was there anything special that had to be done? What about security?

Those security guys see all kinds of silly or embarrassing things packed in luggage. I guess you could wear a mask or a bag over your head but I wouldn't worry too much about a bunch of TSA agents laughing at you...

:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom