Spare Air - Sorry!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RalphPorter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Folks,

Interested in some opinions about the spare air - I've read many negatives about the units but mostly this seems to relate as to whether or not you could ascend from 100' safely on the 3cu bottle... I'd like to put it in a different context (my personal circumstances). I dive with my wife and as such I consider her the most reliable buddy I could have, as does she about me I hope! we don't deep dive - generally 60ft is the floor with occasional deeper detour to see that thing of interest, never got close to OOA as yet - we're very vigilant in that respect. So why I'm really considering a spare air is as a contingency for equipment failure, something that gives some breathing space for both of us to pair up and get on the octopus should the others attention be momentarilly transfixed on the turtle and not their buddy - after all that's why we dive (we're never far away but still I consider any delay might be a long delay if you've got no air!) . What I think I like about the Spare Air setup is this:

• It's small and therefore easy to transport, and I assume pretty unobtrusive whilst diving.
  • It's self contained - no additional hoses, I consider this lessens the risk of mistaken identity.
  • It's apparently simple to fill from a main tank.

What I don't like so much is the price but then again anything that adds to safety is money well spent in my opinion.

It's a lot of hassle and money, just to cover one eventuality. Why not just go the whole nine yards and get a pony, that can cover every eventuality?

Pony cylinders really aren't that obtrusive once you get used to them.

Spare Air can seem like a useful gadget. 'Gadget' is the key word. Depending on the depth you dive at, it really is a lot of trouble for a few seconds of air.

Hello Ralph, Welcome to ScubaBoard! You probably will get many thoughts here on this subject, ranging from use the search function to "You'll die". Spare Air brings out the beast in alot of folks. With that said, 3cf is not alot of air, even at 60ft. If you have an avg. SAC of .5 and experience an emergency, expect that to rise. If it doubles, you have 1 minute of air on that Spare Air. Not a an abundance of time to correct any problems and make a safe ascent in my opinion, for what it's worth.
There are many reasons for carrying a redundant air supply. Some folks say it isn't necessary doing recreational OW, that you have a buddy, CESA, etc. It is a choice that you have to make and you need to be comfortable with your decision. I looked into a redundant air source for my own personal reasons and opted for a slung 40cf. You may not need that much for your diving. Your comment about the price is worth considering. There are much better options out there for a bit more money and a better overall value in my opinion. Whatever you decide, be sure it meets your needs and practice whenever you can with it. :)

DevonDiver said it pretty good; short and sweet while I was typing away! :wink:

It's a matter of comfort and need. Doing the dives you're talking about, a spare air should be fine. Are you thinking about two of them? One for each buddy?

It's a matter of comfort and need. Doing the dives you're talking about, a spare air should be fine. Are you thinking about two of them? One for each buddy?

Nothing says "I love you" like a close buddy.

Spare air is better than no air. But an adequate redundant reserve will safely cover many more OOA emergencies.

I use a 13cf pony under certain conditions (note:It's not with me on every type of dive).

It cost me under $200 for the complete rig along with a quick release where I can hand it off to my dive buddy if needed.

You should get what you feel will meet your needs for the type of diving that you're doing.

Believe it or not there will be those that will say a 13cf is too small also.
Diving Type + depth = Size needed

It's a lot of hassle and money, just to cover one eventuality. Why not just go the whole nine yards and get a pony, that can cover every eventuality?

Pony cylinders really aren't that obtrusive once you get used to them.

Spare Air can seem like a useful gadget. 'Gadget' is the key word. Depending on the depth you dive at, it really is a lot of trouble for a few seconds of air.

Can't argue with that logic....when I saw the price of a spare air vs. a pony I went the extra mile and got a (40cf) pony! I don't even know it's there anymore! (in fact, it's in my avatar photo in the bottom right hand corner)

Every piece of equipment has an engineering goal it is superbly suited for.

...It's up to you to evaluate whether that goal is one you need. Or what your need really is, for that matter.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom