Spare Air: some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try the phrase that we always use, "keep your airway open at all times."

Great! So use it. Rather than suggesting divers can "hold" their breath:

This is where I stopped reading this pony expert's treatise. Is anybody really claiming that you need to be able to "get to the surface holding your breath"?

I'd say that it is a good skill to have in most cases for non-ceiling dives.

You can "hold" your breath (as in not breathe) yet keep the airway open so that you will bent excess air on ascent.

Thal not only refuses to acknowledge that he used very poor wording that can and already has confused others as per posts on this thread by several newbie divers -which has the potential for life threatening consequences- but will continue to insult those who question him about it.

I apologize profusely for overestimating your capabilities ... it will happen again.

Examples of two divers who "misinterpreted Thal's comment", one of whom was labeled a "troll" because of it.

This was your earlier reply to a comment about being able to get to the surface while "holding your breath"...Obviously I wasn't the only one who misinterpreted what you meant

I was not being foolish, I simply misunderstood what you were tyring to say.
I've been a member of Scubaboard for years, and have never been a troll

As a n00b on this board ...The common vernacular of "hold your breath" in the english speaking world is to fill the lungs with air and seal them off. ...Just saying that certain things should probably be corrected quickly, obviously, and often lest a casual n00b reader get the wrong idea.

Great! So use it. Rather than suggesting divers can "hold" their breath:
I do, I just followed suit with the same phrase expecting people here to be well enough trained and mature enough adults to not waste our time on these trivialities.
Thal not only refuses to acknowledge that he used very poor wording that can and already has confused others as per posts on this thread by several newbie divers -which has the potential for life threatening consequences- but will continue to insult those who question him about it.
I acknowledged the poor wording, why do you have trouble reading?
Examples of two divers who "misinterpreted Thal's comment", one of whom was labeled a "troll" because of it.
Now you're trolling. There were not two divers who misinterpreted my comment ... there was one admitted "nit picker" who knew better (and acknowledged it) and another who was not confused either, only somewhat anal retentive.

Now you're trolling. There were not two divers who misinterpreted my comment ... there was one admitted "nit picker" who knew better (and acknowledged it) and another who was not confused either, only somewhat anal retentive.

Three posters who have openly questioned Thal's wording, who have said nothing to him that is the least bit insulting in nature are now classified by Thal to be:

- A Troll
- A Nitpicker
- Anal Retentive

Got it.

:crafty:

P.S. You haven't yet insulted newbie BrotherBear who also commented on the questionable wording in your post.

Perhaps he's "On the short bus"?

bus_4.gif

I would expect someone from the NY to have thicker skin. :shakehead:

The article makes reference to an alternate airsource, that's true, but

1- A Spare Air in particular is not mentioned
2- A redundant air source would not have helped the panicked diver in this situation who failed to utilize available airsources

A Spare Air is exactly that, a fully redundant alternate air source While I might agree with you on point 2, you can argue point 1 with the author, he's an SB member. I say might because 1 of the side benefits of knowing you have an extra supply of air should be extra peace of mind, perhaps preventing the panic in the 1st place.

A Spare Air is exactly that, a fully redundant alternate air source While I might agree with you on point 2, you can argue point 1 with the author, he's an SB member. I say might because 1 of the side benefits of knowing you have an extra supply of air should be extra peace of mind, perhaps preventing the panic in the 1st place.

I totally agree with you on the reassurance provided by any sort of redundant air source- it echos my sentiments exactly, and I am "pro" Spare Air, however I have since traded it in for a 19cf pony bottle.

However in the case of the victim in the article...he had the reassurance of a buddy, and his own octopus, he was faced with a "crisis" that overwhelmed his ability to deal with it, and he still panicked. I'm speculating but it's reasonable to assume that having a Spare Air cylinder on his belt wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

In regard to what the author meant...I don't need to ask him because he was referring to any particular redundant air source. If he meant "Spare Air" then he would have said "Spare Air" in the article.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom