Spare Air: some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet it's because of what you've read about it subsequently to purchasing it that changed your mind, not because it failed on you when you needed it most.

I'm confused by some of your posts. Sometimes it sounds to me as if your pro spair air, and other times anti spair air.
You playing for both teams, or am i just not reading your posts correctly?

I'm confused by some of your posts. Sometimes it sounds to me as if your pro spair air, and other times anti spair air.
You playing for both teams, or am i just not reading your posts correctly?

I think Spare Air has it's place and can be a useful tool, I carried one for many years and I was a happier and more relaxed diver as a result, but I have since moved up to a 19 cf pony bottle and I personally recommend a pony bottle over a Spare Air if a diver is going to choose between the two.

I don't agree with posters who say that a Spare Air is worthless and who try to discourage other divers from carrying one.

You sound like someone who tried to dive with just a SA????!!!! And it almost got you into trouble!!!

I think Spare Air has it's place and can be a useful tool, I carried one for many years and I was a happier and more relaxed diver as a result, but I have since moved up to a 19 cf pony bottle and I personally recommend a pony bottle over a Spare Air if a diver is going to choose between the two.

I don't agree with posters who say that a Spare Air is worthless and who try to discourage other divers from carrying one.

Ah thank you for clearing that up.

You sound like someone who tried to dive with just a SA????!!!! And it almost got you into trouble!!!

Yes, in fact that happened to me

I posted about it earlier in this thread or elsewhere. I was in Cozumel with a group of divers from my area, and we were on a surface interval. We were over a shallow reef, and I threw on my mask and fins. I was wearing a 3mm full wetsuit..I put the Spare Air reg in my mouth and with the cylinder hanging down from my mouth I dove in, and hit the reef at about 25 feet.

I had trouble staying down and got quite winded...and within a few minutes I pulled the last breath out of the Spare Air. So I'm down 25 feet, out of gas and out of breath...it was a long way up...not one of my smartest moves.

I posted about it earlier in this thread or elsewhere. I was in Cozumel with a group of divers from my area, and we were on a surface interval. We were over a shallow reef, and I threw on my mask and fins. I was wearing a 3mm full wetsuit..I put the Spare Air reg in my mouth and with the cylinder hanging down from my mouth I dove in, and hit the reef at about 25 feet.

I had trouble staying down and got quite winded...and within a few minutes I pulled the last breath out of the Spare Air. So I'm down 25 feet, out of gas and out of breath...it was a long way up...not one of my smartest moves.

Hey iDoc, would you like to start a new flame-thrower thread for people to critique this "dive plan"? :popcorn::popcorn:

This is why the Rule of Thirds was invented. Had you turned the dive with two cubic feet of air remaining, you would have been fine.

I have never posted in a Spare AIr thread and I never will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom