Spare Air: some thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, but when I go on vacation, I don't see H or Y valves on the scuba gear provided.

True, but it would be cheaper to buy an "H" or "Y" valve, then purchase a Spare Air, or a Pony

If I diver was to take and use the advice you provided in your post, relevant part quoted above..they'd conceivably sitting there out of gas at 50 feet and thinking "That dude on ScubaBoard said I shouldn't use my Spare Air because I'm in this predicament because I failed to watch my gauges".

Why would a diver be in that situation to begin with? Why would a diver be diving at the level that they have a need for their redundant air source, and fail to watch their SPG? A diver who is going to run out of air due to lack of attenativeness, or failure to have/use proper gas management techniques should not be diving at the depth where one would use a Spare Air, or Pony to begin with.....

I admit I don't have the experience needed to make pronouncements, but the admonition to eschew gear solutions to skills problems seems appropriate.

Reg, it's unfortunate but regardless of how well the diver is prepared, stuff happens. We routinely wear equipment for the purpose of redundancy: 2nd stages, regs, knives, lights, computers, dive tables, the list goes on...

Enter the new diver who has met the minimum standards. S/he may require supervision. They may not have any idea about gas management; they're new to diving. They don't know their consumption rate, they may buddy with someone they don't know. Buddy's (especially new ones) aren't always where they are suppose to be. The Supervisors (DMs) can't be everywhere at the same time. New divers sometimes have buoyancy problems that can quickly separate them from their buddy.

That said the only questions that needs to be answered, are:

1. Would the safety of this new diver be enhanced by having a secondary source of air?

2. If so, what is the most practical source; given the diver is usually diving when on vacation, away from home and traveling by air?

I think that a case can be made here for Spare Air. It certainly isn't the same as a pony for a more advanced diver, but on the other hand, a pony has been insufficient for my needs for over 30 years... It's all about selecting the right tool for the job.

A free ascent/CESA is always a last resort. I train divers to do a CESA from 50' (basic) and 100' (advanced) as a matter of course. In the Navy we had to doffed and donn scuba from a 100' hard bottom for practice. I've often practiced free ascents from over 200' to my first decompression stop.

If you ask me whether I would want a spare air on me if I had to do an emergency ascent from 100' I would be indifferent unless there were other considerations. If you asked me when I was a new diver, the answer would be of course. It would save my life!

I don't understand the argument about Spare Air. It's a redundant air source that HAS saved lives.

It's a no brainer! Whether it's a valuable investment for the individual diver can only be assessed by that individual. Imo however, there are more divers that could use it than those who wouldn't find it valuable given the right circumstances.

True, but it would be cheaper to buy an "H" or "Y" valve, then purchase a Spare Air, or a Pony

People run out of air (you can talk gas management all day long) it happens. How is an H or Y superior to a spare air in this situation.

I've used them all at different times. They are only tools to be used when circumstances dictate that they would increase the level of diver safety. There are times when I haven't used any of these because they were the wrong tools for the job.

Or, you get one of these:
Ventilerweiterung aus eins mach zwei, unter druck Drehbares Vorsatzventil

Yeah, I know it's in Krautspeak, Google translate for maximum laughs!

Allows two independently closable outlets to be used from any* scuba tank. As in, any tank, when travelling, when in countries where dual 1st stages are uncommon, when faced with replacing all the valves on those cheap ex-rental tanks you got, when borrowing a tank of someone else, whenever.

(*: DIN valve, French/US tanks require a yoke adapter)

Still no piece of kit is a replacement for learning gas management, testing SPGs (Pressurise, close tank valve, connect inflator, test all 2nd Stages/inflator, watch SPG needle go down, TURN TANK BACK ON(!)), and getting, if appropriate, an appropriately sized spare based on your *understood* (not whimsical) needs for the dive in question.

Gerbs - dual 1st stages(H, Pony or Twin/Doubles) / gas management taught at OWD-level proponent

I seem to remember Mike Hanna saying something to the effect that at 100 feet a pony will give you just about enough time to recite the Lord's Prayer ... I guess you can add that for a Spare Air that gets cut down to, "My Father, who art ..."

Why would a diver be in that situation to begin with? Why would a diver be diving at the level that they have a need for their redundant air source, and fail to watch their SPG? A diver who is going to run out of air due to lack of attenativeness, or failure to have/use proper gas management techniques should not be diving at the depth where one would use a Spare Air, or Pony to begin with.....

Because people make mistakes, that's why.

A diver who thinks they're always going to get it right and therefore needs no redundancy in their gear is taking an unecessary risk.

I seem to remember Mike Hanna saying something to the effect that at 100 feet a pony will give you just about enough time to recite the Lord's Prayer ... I guess you can add that for a Spare Air that gets cut down to, "My Father, who art ..."

If your down there OOA praying Thal, you're committing suicide. Sometimes death is the only cure for stupid. :)

If your down there OOA praying Thal, you're committing suicide. Sometimes death is the only cure for stupid. :)
I believe that is exactly the point that Mike was making.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom