Spare Air / Pony Tanks - Real life stories ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Some of the most obviously fabricated diving anecdotes I have ever heard came from shop owners and/or staff. But you know the saying ... "A good story doesn't have to be true, it just has to be interesting"
I've heard some of the best ones from well meaning but clueless instructors. . .

xiSkiGuy:
I've heard some of the best ones from well meaning but clueless instructors. . .
They exist? Say it isn't so.

Spady:
I don't own a Spare Air, but I wish I had one last night at the movies when I sat near a guy who was passing alot of gas :(

Wow! Do you have the one that fits over your nose? Or do you use a mask in the movie theater too?

LOL!

:popcorn:

xiSkiGuy:
I got one! I got one! My Advanced class -- the instructor told us that a steel cylinder becomes more buoyant steadily throughout the dive (so far so good) but AL80s maintain their buoyancy until they get down to a couple hundred pounds, then they get light.

Roak

I was in Cozumel a few years back on a trip with a group from a local dive shop.

We were on a surface interval, anchored over a shallow reef, and I decided to make a quick bounce dive using my Spare Air.

I hopped in with nothing but my wetsuit, fins, mask, and Spare Air, and found myself fighting to stay down, and rapidly depleted the small amount of gas in the cylinder. With no warning, I was suddenly drawing no gas at all, and I was down around 25 feet or so, and I was winded from trying to overcome my positive bouyancy.

I rapidly ascended, blowing bubbles the entire time and thinking how stupid I was for getting myself in that predicament. I got to the surface and took several large breaths of air and thanked my lucky stars for getting me out of that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom