Spare air/pony bottle---should I get one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a pony that would allow me time at depth, a normal ascent, and a SS. That is the right way to do it. If push came to shove, I would appreciate the few breaths a Spare Air would give me compared to none. I would not advise anyone take this route.

A Spare Air is a waste of money in my opinion.

It's a half hearted attempt at redundancy and gives a false sense of security.

Over $300 dollars? You can buy real redundancy for that.

Wow,over $300?! I recently purchased a new 13cf tank, cressi reg set, button gauge and sling hardware and straps for about that amount.

I've got a 30 cf pony with a Sherwood SR1 reg. I've dove in a local quarry a few times. It's got a stage kit on it, which uses 2 bolt snaps to clip it to D-rings on my left side BCD.

I've got a 3 cf Spare Air I've used to multiple dives by the Channel Islands in California on a trip.

Some thoughts:

1.) Spare Air is way lighter.
2.) Included 'holster' hugs to S.A. to me higher; the pony hangs fairly far off/down.
3.) With the pony, the hose between 1st & 2nd stage on the SR1 sticks out. Efforts to secure it to the tank side with the rubber band? Not very effective. A nuisance. Non-issue with Spare Air.
4.) The top/regulator on S.A. screws off pretty easily.
5.) When I get to a destination, I can fill the S.A. from a tank. Don't need the op. to do it, so the op. probably won't cut me off by refusing unless I let them do a visual inspection since the valve's been off.
6.) Takes me 40 something breaths to empty it at the surface.
7.) Not every destination provider rents ponies.

I've seen a couple write-ups where somebody basically decided to 'drill' an OOA emergency at 90 feet, ascend properly, do a safety stop, etc..., with a S.A. and basically it didn't get'ed all the way up. But there's value in a controlled slow ascent and at least partial safety stop before heading up.

At 90 feet if your 2nd stage falls off the hose, or your setup otherwise quits giving air, do you 40 something surface equivalent breaths (close to 4 atm, let's stay 12 maybe?), or none?

A Spare Air 3 cf (I wouldn't mess with smaller) is not about a rule of thirds approach to let you retrace your path to the start, ascend properly, do a 3 minute 15 foot safety stop & all from the point of maximum planned dive plan distance.

A Spare Air is about letting you stop, consider what's going on, then ascend at a more controlled rate. Perhaps even take a moment to snap a strand of entangling kelp?

The convenience factor in traveling & using a big, even if that's not obvious. I don't think of S.A. so much as something people use instead of a pony, as rather something people who'd have skipped the pony due to hassle factor, and thanks to S.A. maybe don't dive with no redundancy.

Spare Air 3cf is good for what it is, and if that's what you're after and plan for, it can be good for you.

Oh, I have run across reviews of S.A.'s losing pressure over time. Hasn't been an issue with mine, but I suggest the optional button pressure gauge where you can see how much pressure is left in it.

Richard.

I assume from the original post you're talking solo travel not necessarily solo diving. I think it depends on the circumstances. In general I don't carry a pony on warm water, high viz, rec dive boats even with an insta-buddy. It's a lot of extra gear and a hassle to travel with. I don't feel the odds are that high that I'll suffer a catastrophic failure and simultaneously not find my buddy in a high viz environment. I'll make an exception for a more challenging dive such as a deep wreck in the Keys where I'll spend a large percentage of the dive at depth and there are more ways for a buddy to "get away." I would also consider hiring a guide as opposed to an insta-buddy for a more challenging dive. I don't see many other divers carrying ponies on basic dives in this environment. In cold water, low viz, etc. I would reassess. There are a lot of risk/reward scenarios involved in diving. Knowledge, experience, and preparation (have an idea where you're going, the op, the conditions) are your friends. It's good you're researching it on SB. There's a lot of good info here. Also look around on the boat the next time you go out and talk to other divers familiar with the environment you're going to dive, then make the risk assessment that lets you sleep at night. Eventually someone on SB will tell you to wear a parachute every time you get on a plane.:) Good luck. All IMHO. YMMV.

Last edited:
I've got a 30 cf pony with a Sherwood SR1 reg. I've dove in a local quarry a few times. It's got a stage kit on it, which uses 2 bolt snaps to clip it to D-rings on my left side BCD.

I've got a 3 cf Spare Air I've used to multiple dives by the Channel Islands in California on a trip.

Some thoughts:

1.) Spare Air is way lighter.
2.) Included 'holster' hugs to S.A. to me higher; the pony hangs fairly far off/down.
3.) With the pony, the hose between 1st & 2nd stage on the SR1 sticks out. Efforts to secure it to the tank side with the rubber band? Not very effective. A nuisance. Non-issue with Spare Air.
4.) The top/regulator on S.A. screws off pretty easily.
5.) When I get to a destination, I can fill the S.A. from a tank. Don't need the op. to do it, so the op. probably won't cut me off by refusing unless I let them do a visual inspection since the valve's been off.
6.) Takes me 40 something breaths to empty it at the surface.
7.) Not every destination provider rents ponies.

I've seen a couple write-ups where somebody basically decided to 'drill' an OOA emergency at 90 feet, ascend properly, do a safety stop, etc..., with a S.A. and basically it didn't get'ed all the way up. But there's value in a controlled slow ascent and at least partial safety stop before heading up.

At 90 feet if your 2nd stage falls off the hose, or your setup otherwise quits giving air, do you 40 something surface equivalent breaths (close to 4 atm, let's stay 12 maybe?), or none?

A Spare Air 3 cf (I wouldn't mess with smaller) is not about a rule of thirds approach to let you retrace your path to the start, ascend properly, do a 3 minute 15 foot safety stop & all from the point of maximum planned dive plan distance.

A Spare Air is about letting you stop, consider what's going on, then ascend at a more controlled rate. Perhaps even take a moment to snap a strand of entangling kelp?

The convenience factor in traveling & using a big, even if that's not obvious. I don't think of S.A. so much as something people use instead of a pony, as rather something people who'd have skipped the pony due to hassle factor, and thanks to S.A. maybe don't dive with no redundancy.

Spare Air 3cf is good for what it is, and if that's what you're after and plan for, it can be good for you.

Oh, I have run across reviews of S.A.'s losing pressure over time. Hasn't been an issue with mine, but I suggest the optional button pressure gauge where you can see how much pressure is left in it.

Richard.

I have Spare Airs with the button gauge and with the pin indicator. If you breath a few breaths the pin indicator starts dropping. You can feel it or look at it to tell if the tank is full. Down side is some of the pins have broken when banged against things when full. Personally I like the pin indicator better for my old eyes.

Wouldn't it be easier to keep track of your SPG and not bother with either a spare air or pony.
Been diving for 51 years and have never run out of air, nor the buddy I was diving with.
I've only been diving 28 years but am in the same camp. I push my limits often but have never come close to running out of air because I tend to watch my spg often enough to never be surprised at what it reads.

I've only been diving 28 years but am in the same camp. I push my limits often but have never come close to running out of air because I tend to watch my spg often enough to never be surprised at what it reads.
Likewise. But once on a dive it never went below 1000 psi. Good thing I knew that with the time elapsed it should have.

That works great MOST of the time. I guess some folks just want something that works all the time. Plus there are some ops that require a redundant air source if you want tyo dive solo.

Topicstarter is not a solo diver, there is no spare air or pony bottle required by ops.

If you monitor your spg there would probably be no problem. If you really get out of air you can use an air source of a buddy.

There is no solution that works all the time, a pony bottle or spare air can fail...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom