Spare Air 3.0 cubic ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

houe

Registered
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a couple spare air 3.0s for $100 each. Are they worth it?

No. No. No no and more no. They cost more to have hydro and visual servicing for a tank that won't even get you to the surface on any dive more than shallow

I think they are exempt from VIP and hydro. The one I found in a storage unit said that right on the cylinder. Don't buy them to use them; but they sell for quite a bit in eBay. I auctioned the one I found without the fill adapter and I think it sold in the $90's. And it was old and gross; I couldn't believe it. So maybe you buy them and resell and make a few bucks.

There's a bunch of threads that discuss the pros and cons of Spare Air systems. When considering purchase/use it's important to be aware of how they'd fit into your overall gas plan - specifically, how much gas/time they'd supply at a given depth for ascent. Typically, that gas supply is much lower than their clever marketing would have you believe.

The upshot is that Spare Air is a 'CESA Device' - giving a couple of breaths during an emergency ascent from depth. It obviously give a longer duration in shallow water, but you don't really need to carry an extra cylinder to ascend from shallow water anyway...

Some people would debate that 'any extra air is better than none', which is hard to deny. However, critics of the Spare Air would state that it is better to use a full Pony Bottle for that purpose - so that you have 'sufficient' gas for a normal ascent, rather than a 'little extra' gas for an emergency ascent.

The difference - a pony ends the emergency and allows a normal ascent. A spare air prolongs the emergency, requiring a CESA still to be carried out.

---------- Post Merged at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:39 AM ----------

I think they are exempt from VIP and hydro.

Why? Are we exempt from serious injury if they fail when being filled at high pressure?

3.0 c.ft? Only good for doing James Bond impressions in the pool! Admittedly, that would be fun though.

i wouldn't by that. no real use

how many is a couple?? the money you spend on 3 of those can get you a decent quality used pony along with some economically priced regs. u could even get your hands on some used doubles if your looking for better redundancy for a little over that price.

$100 is a rip off. i found my 2 al80s for $40 each just after they lost there birth hydros. after testing they cost me like 80 each.

dont bother with that. 20+ cuft pony is best.

You can easily find al30s for way less. You can find al13s and 19s brand new for less.

Since you trans-fill them, you can avoid the VIP / Hydro, no one is going to catch you. Still, 3000PSI is a lot of potential energy, certainly enough for serious harm.

I view the SA as just enough "protection" to make you over confident and lax in your dive planning / buddy skills. If you are going to spend the money on the purchase and the proper maintenance on the reg and bottle, might as well get something useful.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes I suppose these aren't much more than a swimming pool toy. But probably fun...

---------- Post Merged at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:48 PM ----------

There are two available.

Why? Are we exempt from serious injury if they fail when being filled at high pressure?

They are exempt because they fall short of the minimum diameter and length that a cylinder can measure before requiring a hydro. However, you can take one in for testing if you desire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom