Space Shuttle is Scheduled to Launch Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Launch time is 3:49pm. There is one technical issue with a thruster heater. Should be waivable

Afternoon T'Storms continue to be a very probable issue

Launch window is about 5 min

I still think they should not launch until they have the foam issue resolved.

I was going to head up today, but decided not to because of WX, tomorrow doesn't look much better. The fourth would be a good time for a launch.

stangscuba98a:
I still think they should not launch until they have the foam issue resolved.

I think they should scrap the entire program and spend their money on a new flight system rather than trying to fix a broken one they plan on scrapping in a few years. I'm sure the Russians would keep ferrying us up to the ISS for a fee. What are they charging these days, $20 million to send someone up?

I think the shuttle has served its purpose and is a technilogical marvel. I also think the shuttle was designed to do too much. We don't need to have such a large manned vehicle to deploy satellites or even parts of the ISS, it doesn't make any sense. We can use conventional rocket delivery systems to deploy these and use a seperate system designed specifically to ferry people. This would end up costing far less and would allow for additional safety as the systems would be far simpler. Many think that going back to the apollo style rockets as a step backwards. I say if it can do the job, is cheaper, and is safer it is the logical thing to do.

As I know political statements are against the TOS I'll try to word this next point as unpolitically as I can. One of the failings of the shuttle is the fact that every congressman wanted a piece of the pie for their home state. I don't blame them, they are there for their state. I am not saying the next space vehicle should be built by one company or at one location, in fact they already tried that with the X-33 and it didn't work. We need to simply manage the program such that those companies who can do the best job for the best price are given that part of the contract.

Time to put on my flame retardant suit now.

I wanna go diving tomorrow...The customers I was planning to dive will hang for tomorrow's launch...Anybody else in the Cocoa Beach area want to dive tomorrow morning? (Beach Dive)

Be back by launch time...can't miss it since I'm NASA Retired

I thought that the shuttle never lived up to its promise as a low cost recyclable launch carrier. It was planned to launched every month or so, but this was soon shown to be unrealistic. After the first accident the shuttle lost much of its commercial (and even military) deals and the space station was thought up to give it a purpose, since it hardly had one.

A recyclable launch vehicle is questionable in human space flight, due to the fatal effect of any mechanical error. The maintainance becomes so elaborate that it is cheaper to build new and simple launch vehicles from scratch. The stresses of launch are immense on any vehicle structure and in such a high tech field, reusable crafts are just not feasible. The original idea was a low cost "bus" that would ferry people at will. The bus became too elaborate.
I think the trend in "single-use" technology is now everywhere. Try having a digital cam repaired. Maintainance is more expensive that production line building.

The design to attach the passanger vehicle right NEXT to the main fuel tank is probably also not ideal (in case of a bad malfunction or even just some foam). No emergency rocket to pull the shuttle clear from an exploding main tank like Apollo had etc.

I think it is an impressive vehicle, but has fundamental flaws. NASA should focus on new rockets and I am sure they could design some great ones.

The shuttle flying is more to do with demonstrating that the US still has human launch capability (since currently the chinese and russions do).

I realise this view may offend, and I do see both sides of the story. Always loved what NASA has done, but trying to save the shuttle is not a good idea.

I understand they have a small launch window each day. But, wouldn't you plan your
"return to flight" mission with new hardware for a time period when the weather is good...whatever happened to common sense? I mean come on, Florida, July, afternoon = THUNDERSTORMS.

I watched the NASA press briefings this week. (shakes head...issues expletives) Also the training footage of the astronauts doing egress drills....God help us.

Maybe the honchos need to fly on the hardware, then it might be a different show.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom