SP pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And how much do you pay for a gallon of fuel?
Here in the land of cheap regulators I pay just under $10 a gallon.

Still complaining?

Yea, actually I am, wanna know why? Cause i'm posting in a scuba related forum and not a gas price related forum. Anything else you are confused on please let me know.

Yea, actually I am, wanna know why? Cause i'm posting in a scuba related forum and not a gas price related forum. Anything else you are confused on please let me know.

That's pretty funny.

That is correct.
And why do you suppose they would do that?

I think thats a rethorical question :) but what is your point anyways? :)
My point was that "new scubapro" was smart enough to realize that they almost killed one of the best seconds.

My point was that "new scubapro" was smart enough to realize that they almost killed one of the best seconds.

If that was really their rational, we would still have the D-series regulator.

I believe what they saw was a profit making opportunity with essentially no down side. All the service parts and tech training had to be supported for their more modern designs anyway. To be fair. one big problem with the D-series is a trained monkey may have a pretty hard time servicing them.

If that was really their rational, we would still have the D-series regulator.

I believe what they saw was a profit making opportunity with essentially no down side. All the service parts and tech training had to be supported for their more modern designs anyway. To be fair. one big problem with the D-series is a trained monkey may have a pretty hard time servicing them.

Agree. Unfortunately for us... May be the chineese guys can come up with a replica. Or the design is still covered by patents.

Last edited:

Dude, don't get the wrong idea, I'm not bagging on you, I hope you don't think I was. I lead it on for others to see the irony.
The point is that Scubapro made an attempt to reach back to a model that was very successful.
My question is then why didn't they just continue the G250 for instance like AL with the Conshelf?
If they are so cutting edge and forward then why try and bring something back?

And also, I could see something like a 109 deserving a "vintage" designation if they were to restart production on something like that, but a piece of plastic?

I think Scubapro actually thought the G250HP was a good idea. I think some of it was trying to keep up with the Apollo feature where there was no pressure on the second stage seat when it was de-presssurized, and some of it also probably had a lot to do with reducing production costs by eliminating a comparatively expensive machined part (the metal adjustment knob) while at the same time adding a micro adjust feature that reduces the design and QA requirements for the spring used in the second stage.

However, when done well it's not bad as a design philosophy as the G250 was itself an "improved" Balanced Adjustable. In that instance they added an adjustable flow vane and took advantage of plastics to improve the flow inside the case a bit, however a prime motivator was the ability to replace a metal case that had to be stamped, brazed and then plated at a cost of about $37 per unit with a plastic case that could be made for cost of about $3 per unit. Still, it offered an additional feature and the overall performance was better, so it was a win-win (well not really as Scubapro charged more for it, despite the lower production cost).

But in contrast the G250HP offered no useful improvements and the design required several revisions over the years. That along with a decline in quality led to the older G250 being far more desirable than it's replacement, and eventually it was brought back as the G250V. Still, I worry a bit as Scubapro has stopped packaging it with a first stage, and that generally signals the end as historically, a few years after they do that it usually disappears from the catalog. It certainly signals an unwillingness to put it front and center and the potential customers lose a few percent in terms of the saving they'd get if it were packaged.

Dude, don't get the wrong idea, I'm not bagging on you, I hope you don't think I was. I lead it on for others to see the irony.
The point is that Scubapro made an attempt to reach back to a model that was very successful.
My question is then why didn't they just continue the G250 for instance like AL with the Conshelf?
If they are so cutting edge and forward then why try and bring something back?

And also, I could see something like a 109 deserving a "vintage" designation if they were to restart production on something like that, but a piece of plastic?

No worries, I did not take it as such...

I guess DA Aquamaster's post made sense with the HP version. as for 109 - do not they have a plastic R2xx seconds that are unbalanced and adjustable? I donno them well, just an idea....

nowadays it looks like many companies are trying to cut costs here and there , which does not mean the equipment they produce is necessarily better :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom