SP MK5 LP Ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
My 30+ year old MK5 has 1 HP and 2 LP Ports. Is it possible to convert to 3 LP Ports ? Big (expensive) deal ? Also - I could swear that some tech somewhere along the line changed out the original yoke for one which handles greater pressure. Looking at it - is there a way to confirm this ? Neither the Yoke nor the Yoke screw have any markings.

Thanks

Older models were not rated for 3000 psi tanks, but could be upgraded to do so. Newer ones were. Mine (1978) has 3000 stamped on the yoke (new in box like this, not an upgrade) and is fine for use on my 3300 psi 100CF tank. I don't know if there is any other way to tell them apart or not.

lhpdiver:
My 30+ year old MK5 has 1 HP and 2 LP Ports. Is it possible to convert to 3 LP Ports ? Big (expensive) deal ? Also - I could swear that some tech somewhere along the line changed out the original yoke for one which handles greater pressure. Looking at it - is there a way to confirm this ? Neither the Yoke nor the Yoke screw have any markings.

Thanks

...you need to ask your local dive shop to order you a 'T-adapter' , it screws into your 1st-stage LP port and turns 1 LP port into 3 LP ports......I have one installed on 4 of my regulators and they work great....new I paid $ 40 per adapter, and I've bought used ones in good shape for $ 10 each...I've done 73 ocean dives this year using such modified regs with no problems whatsoever....they're GREAT !

......can't comment much on the yoke...........given the pressures involved, I'd get your local dive shop involved researching that....someone very familiar with Scubapro........if there's any doubt, and it's possible, go ahead and upgrade the yoke....not worth the chance of a failure.

Karl

lhpdiver:

Thanks

Sounds more like DECO reg. Buy a new one and leave modifications like that to some STROKE. :wink:

Well I'm not sure about the STROKE thing, but T-adapters are kinda clunky and not ideal, especially in the hose routing department. Your best bet is to pick up a new first stage that has the right amount of ports.

Mine has 2 HP ports. It's possible that the older pre-3000 yoke ones only had one.

While it could be drilled & tapped for an extra port, I'd be concerned that the chrome would get messed up in the process. Be a shame to muck up a good looking reg for such a mod.

The Mk 1 had one port in the end while the Mk 5 initally came out with two on a swivel cap. This was increased to a 4 and 5 port LP port turret. These are retrofittable to older Mk 5's. Sp does not sell them any more, but if you can find a Scubapro dealer who has been in business for a couple decades, the odds are pretty good that they will have a used one sitting around the shop from a parted out Mk 5.

I would agree that T adapters are not ideal and I have never liked the stress they put on one LP port fitting or what they do to flow rates.

For the price of a t adapter, you could find a Mk 5 with a 4 or 5 port turret on e-bay and either use it for the required part, or use it in place of your current one if it is newer with a 7/16" HP port or a pair of 7/16" HP ports.

There is not much difference between the thin 2250 psi yoke and the slightly thicker 3000 psi yoke initially used other than the 3000 psi stamp near the base.

The later 3000 psi yokes are substantially beefier with a much larger diameter yoke screw - the same size as the current yoke screws used by SP and most other manufacturers.

It's a derogatory term used by a small subset of DIR divers and DIR wannabees as a reference to divers who they regard as using techniques or equipment configurations that they feel are unsafe.

Teddy is probably pushing the limits of acceptable and polite social conduct on the board using it. If he had actually called someone a stroke outside the DIR forum, I would have pulled his post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom