SP MK16 vs. MK25... and for fun S550 vs. S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm close to purchasing here. I know the main difference between the Scubapro MK16 vs. MK25 is that the 16 is a diaphragm and 25 is a piston first stage. Other than that, any reason I should or should not mate either one of those with either a S550 or S600?

And while I'm mentioning the second stages, my LDS is trying to convince me that even in moderate current (like most days at Palancar), if I turn up-current, the 550 is likely to free flow, so I really need the 600. True or $60 upsell sales pitch hype?

Will be doing warm water diving, but do spend some time at 100' and below.

Your LDS is flat out LYING to you in a sad effort to get more money. I would not buy anything from them if that is how they conduct business. If they are not intentionally lying, then they are just ignorant concerning ScubaPro products.

The Mk16 is a very high performance diaphram reg. It's a great breather and is a bit cheaper than the Mk25.

The Mk25 is a great piston reg, I have 2 of them. Outstanding reg, as is the Mk16.

Both are great, just comes down to if you want a diaphram or piston 1st stage. On paper, the Mk25 is a higher performing reg. I can't really tell a difference between the Mk25 and Mk16 when breathing them.

The S550 and S600 will mate with either first stage equally well. Usually the Mk16 comes with the S550; the Mk25 with the S600. But, you can mix and match and get exactly what you want from any good ScubaPro dealer. Despite what any person at the LDS might tell you, the only difference between the S550 and the S600 is an adjustment knob on the left side. They will breath the same underwater. You might want to look at a G250HP. It is EXACTLY like an S600 on the inside, just in a bigger caseing. It's a little cheaper too but offers the same performance.

ScubaPro makes an amazing reg, you will not be disappointed.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

The LDS personnel might have been trying to explain that while diving into a strong current, the diaphram might get depressed enough to cause a free flow.

With the S550, nothing can be done. With the S600, you can adjust the air volume knob to make the free flow go away. I have done that many times while diving on reefs' and fighting the surge. Either reg will perform VERY well.:boom:

luvdiving once bubbled...
The LDS personnel might have been trying to explain that while diving into a strong current, the diaphram might get depressed enough to cause a free flow.

Actually, the diaphram on the S550 is less likely to be affected by strong current due to the fact that the outer covering is made of a stiffer material than the S600.

It basically comes down to do you want the adjustment knob or not. It don't think it's absolutely necessary but, can be helpful at times. (I dive an S600)

As was said the adjustment knob isnt a necessity but is handy for diving into a strong current or surge so you can detune it to help reduce a chance of freeflow.

The MK25 S600 is scubapros top dog in the regulator departmet.The one difference i have noticed between the MK25 and MK16 is that the MK25 is much easier to breathe when buddy breathing compared to the MK16. Other than that let your wallet do the talking as they are both great set ups.

Gentlemen, thank you! This discussion was exactly what I needed to hear. I know I wouldn't use the adjustment knob on the 600 very often, but since I do occasionally turn into current for photographs, if there's a legitimate risk of a free flow in that situation with the 550, might as well spend the extra for the 600. No need to add another potential issue to the task load when photographing - easier to turn a knob than deal with a free flow when taking that picture.

How strong a current would it take to depress the cover of either? Has this happened to anyone?
Bill

Has never happened to me. The current would have to be very strong...Conditions would not be suitable for diving. This is really a non-issue.

One other item should be pointed out. The MK25 has two HP ports. If you want to add an AI computer transmitter along with an analog gauge you will not be able to do it.
I have the MK16 and love it, but in the future I would like to get a transmitter for my Vytec and will need to upgrade my first stage.

I have only fought against a decent current once. I have no idea how many knots (or maybe one knot) :D but the way I was sucking air it was like a freeflow. :D

A couple of corrections for you to consider.

First, both we'll be the best the market offers, but the differences inside DO make a difference. The S600 has a anti-set poppet assembly which helps to save the life of your LP seat, but the main issue is the smoothness of inhalation. The S600 will be a smoother draw throughout inhalation cycle than the S550. (The S600 is an evolutuion of the G500 designs with some much needed and much better improvements, the S550 is an evloution of the G200B design)

The G250HP is very similiar to the S600 except case design, and for the weight and more compact area, the main advantage is that the S600 will offer a slightly less work on exhalation, simply because of case design - though perhaps nothing you can measure. The S600 is still a better choice.

The MK16 versus MK25 is the swivel convenience and the mounting options for dual tanks. Plus the MK25 will be more quiet and offers a considerable amount of greater flow and performance. Though the MK16 is probalby one of the best diaphram regs ever designed, all diaphrams have physical limitations that cannot currently be exceeded with today's physics.

All are truly excellent, I own them all. The better choice is the MK25/S600 or even matching the MK16/S600. If you're debating over $60, you shouldn't be in scuba.

The shop your considering, doesn't know jack about their line. Go to a scubapro dealer who knows what they are taking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom