SP mk16/18 vs mk25af?..or Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahh yes, not a freeflow, just a trickle, likely that it was still tuned for summer climate. Also this is the purpose of the diver adjustment. So that i could tune it down just enough to stop the trickle. Just to claarify that it was not a freeflow.

As far as what I think about apeks or Scubapro?
The scubapros ahve a bad rep in cold water. I don't know why. If what you mentioned in the climate of your diving (not lower than 40f) I think that you would be fine with any scubapro. It is not that cold. If you go below that, I would spcify the Mk16, and if you are to frequent the ice I would go either sealed or like Oren suggested the Poseidon. However the poseidon will likely contradict your service concern. I would place that at the topof my list. To have a reg that some guy on scubaboard told youto get that you likely don't notice a difference from your choice and not be able to service it, is a real pain in the but every year. In your case I would try to stay scubapro. Think about how your diving is going to be catered in the next couple of years and make the choice.

rescuediver009:
ahh yes, not a freeflow, just a trickle, likely that it was still tuned for summer climate. Also this is the purpose of the diver adjustment. So that i could tune it down just enough to stop the trickle. Just to claarify that it was not a freeflow.

As far as what I think about apeks or Scubapro?
The scubapros ahve a bad rep in cold water. I don't know why. If what you mentioned in the climate of your diving (not lower than 40f) I think that you would be fine with any scubapro. It is not that cold. If you go below that, I would spcify the Mk16, and if you are to frequent the ice I would go either sealed or like Oren suggested the Poseidon. However the poseidon will likely contradict your service concern. I would place that at the topof my list. To have a reg that some guy on scubaboard told youto get that you likely don't notice a difference from your choice and not be able to service it, is a real pain in the but every year. In your case I would try to stay scubapro. Think about how your diving is going to be catered in the next couple of years and make the choice.
That's fairly interesting. If I remember your previous post correctly (And I have a very good memory :wink:) You were telling that the trickle didn't stop under ice until you've switched regs to the Poseidon Xstream. So which statement is true now? We could pull out the old post :wink: So, as far as I understand it, if a reg is trickling and wouldn't stop doing it unless you switch to a different reg, than it is freeflowing. Isn't it?
Could you please elaborate more on the "tuned for summer climate" thing for the people that aren't Apeks, Aqualung & USD Technicians? What is the difference in the settings? (Usage of Winter oil possibly? :D) Are you telling us that Apeks, which is considered an excellent cold water reg has to be tuned in a special mannor for it to be diveable during the winter season without freeflowing?

aquaoren:
That's fairly interesting. If I remember your previous post correctly (And I have a very good memory :wink:) You were telling that the trickle didn't stop under ice until you've switched regs to the Poseidon Xstream. So which statement is true now? We could pull out the old post :wink: So, as far as I understand it, if a reg is trickling and wouldn't stop doing it unless you switch to a different reg, than it is freeflowing. Isn't it?
Could you please elaborate more on the "tuned for summer climate" thing for the people that aren't Apeks, Aqualung & USD Technicians? What is the difference in the settings? (Usage of Winter oil possibly? :D) Are you telling us that Apeks, which is considered an excellent cold water reg has to be tuned in a special mannor for it to be diveable during the winter season without freeflowing?
Look man, if I made an error, or told the story in a confusing way, and it is that important to you and you dig up the old post, I would be happy to clarify.
Secondly you are looking way way way to far into this. It is not a matter of being a technician, it is a matter of customizing your dive gear to what works best for you. This is way over discussed and no you do not have to use winter and summer lubricants and no there are not winter and summer settings. This is one of those things that gets so overdiscussed that I (and I think others here aswell) have lost sight of the original topic which can prove to be very frustrating to the post originator.

Look man, you appear to be taking everything way too seriously. I couldn't care less for your stories but since it appears to have changed over time, I just wanted to see what is the real deal. I understand that as time goes by, your memory generally gets better and the stories more accurate :wink:
BTW, IMO you are way out of line to try to shut me up by telling me that you're speaking for other board member and that we're off topic. If you'll go trough the thread, you'll notice that the topic was the performance of Scubapro in cold water and whether Apeks would be better. Someone mentioned that they never heared about an Apeks freezing and I remembered your story, which I mentioned. It was in a thread about the Poseidon Xstream, which you were admiring and telling how great it was and even worked after you had to switch to it when your Apeks was freeflowing. As I said, I couldn't care less for your stories and defenetly will not be wasting my time digging trough old posts. You must remember it better anyway as it happened to you :)
You know, from someone that is trying to represent some kind of authority in the field of regulators, I would have expected more. It's a shame that a Rescue diver, DM, an Ice certificate holder and a reg tech goes under ice without knowing how their regs will be performing. The statement that it was only trickling because "likely that it was still tuned for summer climate" is rediculous and plain silly. More important, it is dangerous because you are giving people a false sense of safety. Instead of calling things by name you make them appear harmless. A new, unexperienced diver may believe you and get himself into trouble.
The more responsible thing to do would be to aknowledge that under the right condition every reg can freeze and when diving in cold water, we should never forget it and be prepared for worst case scenario.

First I don't know who you are or if you are ****** that you just listen to everything that everyone tells you. and no I do not expect to represent anything in the field of anything. Its just so that if I tell someone something they don't assume that I am full of it. Also that way if someone has a question about something that I know a bit about they can aske me directly, not pick apart my sentences and recount my stories for me.
Second to assume that I jump into the water not know what my gear will breathe like is presumpsuous and inane. I always know exactly how everything performs before and after the dive. As for your redundant remarks about my summer and winter adjustments, they are mine and not the manufacturers and I never suggested that anyone employ them. Therefore being acqainted fully with the performance and functionability or my reg I am not being unsafe or giving people a false sense of secuity. I think that you should learn a little more about what you are debating before you start talking. I am not about to start my resume for you when it comes to regulators and other gear but instead I will politely suggest that you drop this and recognize that you are out of your league (yes that is the polite way).
Third I don't speak for anyone except myself. I only suggested that the originator of this thread is wondering why these two guys are arguing about something that has nothing to do with his question and more with things that happend elsewhere.
And finally, being a divemaster and all that other stuff still applies when I see you arguing with meabout something that I know that I am right on. Except I don't have the other DM's laughing with me about the guy who asked me a question about something and then turns around and begins to tell me that I am wrong in which case I would say that you can go do what you want and I will still be here. Don't worry I am not taking it serisously. Because comments like 'any reg can freeze' really show your equipment knowledge. enjoy :)

rescuediver009:
First I don't know who you are or if you are ****** that you just listen to everything that everyone tells you. and no I do not expect to represent anything in the field of anything. Its just so that if I tell someone something they don't assume that I am full of it. Also that way if someone has a question about something that I know a bit about they can aske me directly, not pick apart my sentences and recount my stories for me.
Second to assume that I jump into the water not know what my gear will breathe like is presumpsuous and inane. I always know exactly how everything performs before and after the dive. As for your redundant remarks about my summer and winter adjustments, they are mine and not the manufacturers and I never suggested that anyone employ them. Therefore being acqainted fully with the performance and functionability or my reg I am not being unsafe or giving people a false sense of secuity. I think that you should learn a little more about what you are debating before you start talking. I am not about to start my resume for you when it comes to regulators and other gear but instead I will politely suggest that you drop this and recognize that you are out of your league (yes that is the polite way).
Third I don't speak for anyone except myself. I only suggested that the originator of this thread is wondering why these two guys are arguing about something that has nothing to do with his question and more with things that happend elsewhere.
And finally, being a divemaster and all that other stuff still applies when I see you arguing with meabout something that I know that I am right on. Except I don't have the other DM's laughing with me about the guy who asked me a question about something and then turns around and begins to tell me that I am wrong in which case I would say that you can go do what you want and I will still be here. Don't worry I am not taking it serisously. Because comments like 'any reg can freeze' really show your equipment knowledge. enjoy :)
:D
For all what I know, you could be a 69 year old grandmother who enjoys rollerblading and trolling on the internet. I don't know you and honestly, I don't want it judging by your responses. :wink:
I'll say again that if someone who claims to be a "highly trained professional" tries to explain a freeflowing reg with: "likely that it was still tuned for summer climate" than he disqulifies himself.
Concerning the full of himself: Yes, I do think that you are quiet a bit judging from your post. So I'll do the smart thing and will say:
Yes, Mr.
NAUI AOW
TDI Nitrox
PADI Rescue, Ice, DM
Apeks, Aqualung & USD Technician
You are right. Apeks can not be brought to freeze ust like any other reg. :wink: LOL

I dont think that anyone else has a problem with me so I think that we are done. Its ok I dont mind if you dont like me.

Man oh Man! There is a Civil War going on in Canada :wink: Can't we just all get along :11ztongue I have read somewhere on this board that the SPs tend to free flow in colder water as well. However, I am in Guam and with the water as warm as it is, have never had a problem with my MK 25 S600 except for one! Even in Pre-dive setting, the damn thing free flows every time I hit the water! I was under the impression the sole purpose of this feature was to keep the reg from doing so? Regardless, I would check out my LDS to get an idea first. Most will sell regs and equipment that are suitable or optimal for that area. For instance, you won't find drysuits or any wetsuits more than 3mm here as there is no need locally. My instructor uses an Apeks ATX 200 and loves it. He is a tech diver though and prefers their reliability in deeper water over SP. He dove both to 200' and said the SP breathed a little harder than the Apeks. However, it did not quit on him either. Just a little more labored. Like everyone has said, both are good regs, just try and pick one that will suit your needs for where you will be diving most.

Back
Top Bottom