SP Jet Mod?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
What do you guys think of riviting a thin piece of SS inside the foot pocket on the bottom extending out the back an inch or so? This might give the Jet's short foot pocket more support for a boot and reduce fatigue. The only draw back I can see is reducing the height of the pocket by a fraction.

Thoughts please, as I don't normally modify any equipment.

A few thoughts...

While the idea of extending the foot plate certainly is good, SS may not be the ideal choice of material. In addition to the reduction in foot pocket height you already mentioned, you add weight to an already "heavy" fin. If diving dry this may not be an issue and may actually help, however, diving wet I would imagine this would not be desirable. Adding to that the weight of the SS could increase muscle usage enough to tire a diver out. Finally, if you do something like this, make sure the edures are rounded and bevelled - don't want to have knives sticking out of the your feet.

I wonder if a different polymer of rubber could be used. Since Jets are only $100-ish (as opposed to experimenting on $200 fins) it would be interesting to see if you could devise a way to extend that foot pocket.

Good luck!

My new drysuit has stiffer bottoms on the boots so my new XL Jets aren't an issue now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom