SP jet fins vs. SP twin jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have both. I bought the Twin-Jets from LDS during OW class before I knew any better. I bought my Jets at a secondhand store for $10, added a pair of spring straps to them, and haven't worn my Twin-Jets since.

I recently had to replace my fins after they were stolen. I had a pair of Mares Avanti Quattros, which I disliked because the complicated buckle system had a tendency to open up at the worst of times. So like you, I read the posts on this site, looking for a set of fins that had a more reliable attachment system. The SP Jet fins seemed to be very popular, esp. with the tech crowd. They have no buckle to open up, the solid fin is preferred for maneuverability, they work well on the surface, and they're relatively cheap. Sounded good to me. My LDS didn't offer them, so I bought a pair online, and tried them out last week on a trip to Cozumel. I compared them to my buddy's SP Twin Jets, and I can tell you, these are 2 entirely different fins!

The biggest thing I noticed about the SP Jets was the weight. My size XL Jets weigh over 3 lbs each - around 6.5 pounds for the pair. The end result was that my feet were overweighted, and I could not maintain a level position in the water without constant finning action. My air consumption went through the roof. They are also amazingly stiff. Not just the blade, but the foot box as well. After a week of diving and constant finning action, my feet are heavily blistered and covered with band-aids.

For comparison, I tried my buddy's SP Twin Jets. By comparison to the Jets, these fins feel like wet noodles. I hardly felt any resistance at all when kicking the Twin Jets. Propulsion and maneuverability were noticeably reduced, however. They were also positively buoyant, which allowed me to maintain a comfortable horizontal position in the water.

As another poster mentioned, you will need to try different fins for yourself to decide. If you require negatively buoyant fins for proper trim, have the leg and foot strength to push a stiff blade, and want maximum maneuverability, you may enjoy the Jets. If you would rather have positively buoyant, comfortable, lower propulsion and less maneuverable fins, then the SP Twin Jets might be appropriate for you.

Spike_Digger:
I could not maintain a level position in the water without constant finning action.

Lift your feet and lean forward. You are not an inanimate object.

**Disclaimer** This is my Opinion and I am NOT any kind of expert :D

I have tried Twin jet and Jet, I have also tried Tusa Xpert Zoom and a few other solid bladed fins.
I haven't had many travels as of yet but I tried different fins different days.

In my experience the Twin-Jet gave me what I was looking for.

With the Jets, after one tank and a surface swim in calm water my legs were jelly I felt as if I had hiked a mountian. I couldn't maintain the speed I wanted but I could turn on a dime and put myself vertical almost instantly.

The Twin Jets felt more fitting to my kick style. I kick more from the knees and these fins seemed to take that and send me as fast or as slow as I wanted to go. It was nice to finally see particals in the water stream past my mask. and Comfort, to me there is no comparison these fins have a wide pocket that allow your feet to breath but the bottom of the foot pocket comes almost to you heal giving that extra leverage that I couldn't get with Tusa Xperts.

I personally have not been in a spot that required the precise movements that supposidly require paddle fins but I have not had an issue with turning or moving in a direction that I wanted to go. Want to stand on your head? 2 Kicks, Want to get heads up vertical? 2 kicks

Twin Jets work for me. Like others have said, try out many and find what works for you. The reason there are so many styles? Because there are more styles of people that Dive.

Spike_Digger:
I recently had to replace my fins after they were stolen. I had a pair of Mares Avanti Quattros, which I disliked because the complicated buckle system had a tendency to open up at the worst of times. So like you, I read the posts on this site, looking for a set of fins that had a more reliable attachment system. The SP Jet fins seemed to be very popular, esp. with the tech crowd. They have no buckle to open up, the solid fin is preferred for maneuverability, they work well on the surface, and they're relatively cheap. Sounded good to me. My LDS didn't offer them, so I bought a pair online, and tried them out last week on a trip to Cozumel. I compared them to my buddy's SP Twin Jets, and I can tell you, these are 2 entirely different fins!

The biggest thing I noticed about the SP Jets was the weight. My size XL Jets weigh over 3 lbs each - around 6.5 pounds for the pair. The end result was that my feet were overweighted, and I could not maintain a level position in the water without constant finning action. My air consumption went through the roof. They are also amazingly stiff. Not just the blade, but the foot box as well. After a week of diving and constant finning action, my feet are heavily blistered and covered with band-aids.

For comparison, I tried my buddy's SP Twin Jets. By comparison to the Jets, these fins feel like wet noodles. I hardly felt any resistance at all when kicking the Twin Jets. Propulsion and maneuverability were noticeably reduced, however. They were also positively buoyant, which allowed me to maintain a comfortable horizontal position in the water.

As another poster mentioned, you will need to try different fins for yourself to decide. If you require negatively buoyant fins for proper trim, have the leg and foot strength to push a stiff blade, and want maximum maneuverability, you may enjoy the Jets. If you would rather have positively buoyant, comfortable, lower propulsion and less maneuverable fins, then the SP Twin Jets might be appropriate for you.

The jets have POS foot "boxes" and you just have to deal with it if you get them. I recommend socks under the booties.

As for sinking feet, you need to pull them further back towards your butt to shift the weight forward.

As for SAC, what kick did you use? The jets are best for frogkicking imo and I at least have good SAC using that propulsion technique with them.

But everyone is different, and you may just not be a good fit for the jets.

Back
Top Bottom