SP jet fins vs. SP twin jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdb:
This old tired thread will, no doubt, result in the same old tired replies. Try several fins and see for yourself.

I would think that someone who heads up a company that makes fins could - or more precisely WOULD - provide a response that would help advance the discussion.

Of course there is no more tired reply than "try several and see for yourself" so I guess in one respect your response was right on the mark.

:)

RJP:
I would think that someone who heads up a company that makes fins could - or more precisely WOULD - provide a response that would help advance the discussion.

Of course there is no more tired reply than "try several and see for yourself" so I guess in one respect your response was right on the mark.

:)

RJP: of course we could reply with comments from serious users such as:

““I am a US Navy SEAL and have been in the military for 12 years. I use fins in many different applications such as jumping from helicopters, airplanes, long surface swims, and extensive combat diver operations. I have tested the Bio-Fin in all types of profiles and environments and have found it to be superior in all respects to any other fin I have used.

The tests have been surface swimming on side, stomach, and back; against current, with current, 90 degrees to current; navigation dives with open circuit and closed circuit, [and] deep dives with open circuit. Other applications have been static line parachute jumps, military free fall night water RAMS parachute jump, and closed circuit scuba exhaustion dive. The Bio-Fins did better in all applications in areas of speed, comfort, ease of swimming, gas consumption (V02 max), deep dives and heavy current. I used different personnel from the military Special Forces community; SEAL, PJ, CCT, SF, RANGER, to accomplish these tests.”
- Tim Core MM1(SEAL/SW) United States Navy

Sometimes it is better to just let the real divers find out the real deal.

mdb:
RJP: of course we could reply with comments from serious users such as:

““I am a US Navy SEAL and have been in the military for 12 years. I use fins in many different applications such as jumping from helicopters, airplanes, long surface swims, and extensive combat diver operations. I have tested the Bio-Fin in all types of profiles and environments and have found it to be superior in all respects to any other fin I have used.

The tests have been surface swimming on side, stomach, and back; against current, with current, 90 degrees to current; navigation dives with open circuit and closed circuit, [and] deep dives with open circuit. Other applications have been static line parachute jumps, military free fall night water RAMS parachute jump, and closed circuit scuba exhaustion dive. The Bio-Fins did better in all applications in areas of speed, comfort, ease of swimming, gas consumption (V02 max), deep dives and heavy current. I used different personnel from the military Special Forces community; SEAL, PJ, CCT, SF, RANGER, to accomplish these tests.”
- Tim Core MM1(SEAL/SW) United States Navy

Sometimes it is better to just let the real divers find out the real deal.

For a US Navy SEAL and the type of diving described above the bio-fins are probably better, but the claim is that jets are superior for frog- and backkicks. They are also heavier than most other fins which many of us like.

I owned Tusa x-pert zoom split fins and they were fine fins, but not for the alternative kick styles which I now use almost exclusively.

I dove twin jets for a year and they never felt right. I bought a pair of jets and my wife bought some turtles. We sold the twin jets and love the paddle design. That said, many better divers than us prefer the split fins so what do I know. Personally, I hated them but I also started diving with a paddles style fin (Mares Quattro) so I was already used to that style before I went to the twin jet.

Yes, you will have to try them both and see for yourself. You won't really believe anyone of us until you do and who knows what you will decide. Most dive boats/sites have other divers around wanting to try the other side of the fence. Just ask.

I am a very slow diver and have no need to go anywhere fast. The twin jets did a better job in the fast category but not as good in the precision category IMHO. A negative for the Jet fin is that when used with dry suit boots they frequently require a larger fin pocket and that makes the jet fin HUGE. Really huge and the fin itself also becomes larger, not just the pocket. The one size fits all turtle is smaller and generally fits a wider shoe size and the blade on the turtle fin is also smaller.

Navy divers need to move, they need to go places quickly. If that's what split fins are better at than paddle fins--great. Personally I don't see the need to zoom all over the place. Different equipment for different missions.

Mo2vation:
I don't get paying over $50 for a set of fins. They're fins.
In comparision to regular Jets, I paid a huge sum for SB Jetfin Revos. Why? Because I never liked the feel of the classic style. Because I wanted something very similar with a few differences, when I found the Revos, I bought them.

$50 for fins you dislike vs $180 that feel like your foot became the fin? The extra money pays off in enjoyment on every dive.

I also know a few active duty SEALs, they each prefer different fins.

thanks for all the replies. i'm going to try as much types/models of fins as i can but from what i've read from this thread and some other threads, jet fins are pretty popular. i think i'm already a bit biased towards jet fins without any actual use. haha. anyway, thanks again. :D

langostino:
ok, so does that mean having twin jets is missing the point? meaning it's more comparable to other brands rather than jet fins?

and if the prices were the same, would jet fins still have a big advantage over twin jet fins?

by the way, thanks for all the replies so far.

They are both made by Scubapro and both have the word, "Jet" in their names. There is no other similarity. If the prices were reversed, I'd still dive the Jets and pass the Twin Jets by.

I bought (or was saddled with) TwinJets in OW class, dove them for about 6 months. Didn't like the long blade, the lack of manueverability, and after getting certed found I prefer to frog kick, which was not easily done in TwinJets. Bought a pair of Jets on eBay for $20 and haven't looked back since. They allow me effortless frog kicking, more manueverability and I like the shorter stiffer blade (I wear Large Jets vs Med TwinJets). I slapped on some spring straps, now they should last me a very very long time. In contrast my son has broken 2 plastic quick release buckles in the last 6 months.

-Garrett

I wear my black* Twin Jets when I want to go fast (such as practicing for a swim test), but most of the time, I'm more interested in just ambling around and enjoying the scenery (which is often rather close to me in the low vis lakes and quarries or the confined spaces of springs and the like). The snap turns and such at which the Jets excel are much more valuable to me than the ease of finning the Twin Jets may provide, as when you're going slow and low, speed is best avoided (and at slow speed, any fin is easy).

If I were to need to go fast (such as against a current), I would dive the Twin Jets, but without the vis or the distances to support going fast, the Jets win by a fathom.

*The colors of Twin Jets do make a functional difference, by the way... black is stiffest, then silver, then blue and yellow, IIRC. The less stiff colors might be less effort, but I value the feel of at least some stiffness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom