SP jet fins vs. SP twin jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

langostino

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i've read quite a number of posts regarding different brands/models but i'm wondering how these two stack up against each other. i'm curious about efficiency, maneuverability and application using various kicks (flutter, frog, etc.). thanks in advance! :D

I have both. Used the twin jets for many years, but have switched back to the jets as my regular divers. I feel that the twin jets give you better top end speed, but the jets offer better slow-speed maneuverability and turns.

Dive safe!

Why pay more for fins which are broken?

Love my Jets!

Split fins work for forward propulsion. However, they stink for turning (left or right) or going backwards. Check out this link. It has a video of someone doing a back kick. http://www.5thd-x.com/videos/backkick.html

Back kicks and helicopter turns are pretty useful when you are trying to maintain your position without something to hang onto.

ok, so does that mean having twin jets is missing the point? meaning it's more comparable to other brands rather than jet fins?

and if the prices were the same, would jet fins still have a big advantage over twin jet fins?

by the way, thanks for all the replies so far.

langostino:
ok, so does that mean having twin jets is missing the point? meaning it's more comparable to other brands rather than jet fins?

and if the prices were the same, would jet fins still have a big advantage over twin jet fins?

by the way, thanks for all the replies so far.

In general, I see two different mindsets when it comes to fins. There are those who feel like all they need to do is to be able to go forward and do so with the least amount of effort. For those people, split fins like the Twin Jets are the preference. Divers with achy legs and joints also seem to have a preference for split fins for the same reason; they are easier on your legs.

Then there are those who prefer to have a lot of agility and control through the use of finning techniques. Cave and wreck divers fall into this category as these types of divers usually dive in environments where precision and maneuverability are incredibly important. For these types of divers, paddle fins like the Jet fins are the best choice. You will also see recreational divers who tend to prefer paddle fins if they do dives with the same requirements in terms of agility and maneuverability such as those who do photography or those who dive in surgy conditions (keeping your place when making ascents and descents relative to your buddy is much easier if you can back up or turn sideways instead of swimming around if you overshoot a spot or are pushed out of position by the surge).

For me, I wouldn't take split fins even if they were giving them away. Simply cannot use them to do the things I need them to do when I dive.

I've used many of the various split fins as well as a fair number of paddle fins. I need underwater agility as I am a photographer. I'm also Cavern certified, and have spent a fair amount of time in the various Central and North Florida springs. I prefer to use the correct tool for the job.

I use Mares Quattros fitted with spring straps for the times I need agility, such as in caverns and while shooting Macro. All the other times I use Twin Jets. They retain a fair amount of agility compared with some of the other split fins I've tried, and, overall are my favorite fin for diving reefs and walls.

I also have a pair of the original Jets, but I prefer the Quattros which, IMHO, if you could only own one pair of fins, would be the best choice.

I own and have used both. I think Adobo hit the nail on the head as to what the two types are good for. I don't use my Twin Jets any more at all.

langostino:
i've read quite a number of posts regarding different brands/models but i'm wondering how these two stack up against each other. i'm curious about efficiency, maneuverability and application using various kicks (flutter, frog, etc.). thanks in advance! :D

This old tired thread will, no doubt, result in the same old tired replies. Try several fins and see for yourself.

Jets: $45 eBay

Twins: A lot more.

I don't get paying over $50 for a set of fins. They're fins.

FINS.

I dive dry. I'm very strong. I want neg feet, precision, power.

No set of splits can deliver all that, and surely not at $50.

IMO, splits are designed for precision diver - wallet separation.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom