SP Jet Fins vs Mares Quattro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onca2002

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my Genesis Aquaflex for something newer. I dive in heavy current quite often, and have narrowed my choices down to these two fins:

Scubapro Jet Fins
Mares Quattro

What fins and why, would you suggest, I have never used either, but would like to hear some opinions from others who may have used both.

I prefer Scubapro Jet Fins, but I would call them newer, they've been around over 40 years. They have power and fine control. I've never asked them to do anything they couldn't produce. They last forever.

Both are excellent choices. The Jets will require you to have more leg strength, Quattros have more "give" in them when you kick.

theskull

I got to try my friend's Avanti Quattro fins last week. THEY MUST BE MINE! :wink:

Didn't try the jet fins yet. A few tech divers I know use them.

Why don't you try both?

Jets are good for hauling a load of scallops or an anchor at slow speed. They offer excellent thrust and good control. Quattros are the fav of the Europeans, instructors and professional guides. They are highly advanced in design. Scubalab likes the Aeris Mako and is supported by test results. Makos are easy to kick and move out with speed. Not sure if they would be as good for lugging your buddy back to the beach as, for example, the XS Powerfin, a jet clone. However, thrust numbers are right up there with some of the "power" types. They have to be, it is one requirement to get the speed numbers. Also, the Aeris Mako would probably beat the others in a slalom. Don't know if you can do a helicopter kick and stuff like that. They say that the XS fin can if you need it.

I have both. I use the Quatros for my wetsuit diving and the jets for Drysuit diving for the extra weight. They are both great fins with plenty of power. Pick the fin that works best for you. Do you find yourself in a heads-down trim? If so, go with the jets. If you already have heavy feet, go with the quatros. If you think you may like doing tech stuff, look into the jets or turtles, those are pretty much the standard.

scubapro jets

I use to wear Quattros. Spent a lot of time trying to master the back kick. Could just do it,kind of,on a good day.

Got some Jets and,hey,look at me going backwards :)

The Jets work pretty good going forwards as well.

Dont know where I put the Quattros.

I dive in heavy current quite often, and have narrowed my choices down to these two fins: Scubapro Jet Fins ... Mares Quattro
I own and use both. For diving in moderate to strong current, I would definitely go with the Jets. The Quattros are so flexible they bend too much in a current - I had this happen this past Saturday in a very strong current off the Carolina coast. Both are very good fins. For relaxed, Caribbean recreational diving, I prefer the Quattros.

Back
Top Bottom