SP, Apeks, Aqualung:online vs LDS wisdom???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think an LDS would be foolish to turn down service work. As was previously stated you may just need to pay for the parts. I would think the LDS would be glad to have you for a customer either way.
That having been said, give your LDS a shot at a price match. They may not be able to sell at exactly the same price you got online, but may be able to come close. If that is the case, then you can weigh whether the difference is worth it.

I have both Apeks (Tungsten XTX) and Oceanic regs (Delta 4, and Eos). While I am happy with all of them, I prefer the new Oceanic Eos.

I can tell you that from a customer service standpoint, Oceanic is head and shoulders above the rest. These folks are notorious for going above and beyond when service is needed. I had a friend's computer break while on Roatan last year. Oceanic actually offered to ship him a new one overnight.. fantastic folks who stand behind their products. They also have an active presence here on SB which helps in communication.

I have two SP MK17/S555 regs that I purchased authorized from a shop locally now owned be a new owner since this time last year that I refuse to do business with based on how he treated me my first time in the shop. This new owner owns 6 local shops in the area and there are only about 4-5 others not owned by him within 45 minute driving distance (that I'm aware of).

I tried to take the regs for annual to many other shops around me and they first gave me crap about not servicing it if I can't produce the receipt. Then I produced the receipt and they gave me crap about not having service history. Said SP has a policy of requiring authorized dealers to refuse service on non-authorized purchases. But, I have a receipt and the SN is registered with SP. Then they wanted to triple the price because I was missing a receipt from the previous year (in once case, at the same shop).

I eventually produced the documentation and they did the service.

I'm concerned now because I just bought an APEKS TEK3 used from somone, registered to him from authorized dealer, that I won't be able to get any service every 2 years according to the maintenance schedule for the 1st stage, and every 1 year for the 2nd stages (XTX50's).

I understand the policy of not servicing from online unauthorized dealers (at the very least not providing lifetime parts), but how is this handled when purchased from a friend? It is very common to sell gear in this industry.

I do not know how to go about learning or getting training for servicing my own regs so I'm at the mercy of having them serviced for now.

Is it so normal to be such a pain, that out of 3-4 shops I took my regs to, only 1 would do the service? They are coughing up this new attitude locally these days that if I didn't buy from them and support *their* shop they won't do the service, period. I think that is wrong, because it is common to move or change local shops or others go out of business.

This whole thing is very frustrating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom