SP, Apeks, Aqualung:online vs LDS wisdom???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indeedidive

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
:confused:2nd post to SB!!! I've been diving for few years(3) bought my gear early on (oceanic regs) been very happy but I am ready for an upgrade. I've narrowed it down to a couple of companies: SP,Apeks, Aqualung, Not looking for a which is better answer. I'm sure all 3 are very good and will perform well. I'm looking for a little background info. If SP is bought online the price is great but service will be an issue, how much of an issue? I have my gear serviced religously and 1 or 2 expensive service bills will offset the online price quickly. Also, what is the relation between apeks and aqualung? Why does the apeks home page link for retailer search/international take me to aqualung??? Am i missing something????????????

any help/wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

At least in the US, Aqualung owns the Apeks brand. None of these brands permit online sales so if you purchase online you will not get the free parts from the manufacturer. At least for Apeks the parts are somewhat pricey.
So if the online vendor offers some warranty service, you'll have to evaluate whether that vendor warranty (and not manufacturer) offsets the price difference.
Note that even when purchasing from an authorized dealer, you only get free parts for annual service - you still have to pay the labor.

Thanks very much for the info!! Do you think that yearly service would be possible by an LDS or will I find nobody will touch my gear or only at an outrageous $$$.? Leaning very heavily towards the SP.

I appreciate the input!!

Thanks very much for the info!! Do you think that yearly service would be possible by an LDS or will I find nobody will touch my gear or only at an outrageous $$$.? Leaning very heavily towards the SP.

I appreciate the input!!

Depends on your LDS. If they are horses rears you might have a problem, otherwise you should be fine. First off, don't tell them where you bought it, its none of their business and if they refuse to service gear that was not bought from them, you need to find a better shop anyway. The thing you need to understand about the warranty is it only covers parts, you always pay for the labor. Plus, if you miss a service date or can't supply the necessary paperwork your not covered anymore. Parts kits are not that expensive, anywhere from $20 to 50 so is you save $200 on line that's at least 4 years of parts. Not that I am suggesting you do so but you may find it interesting that many of us who maintain our own regs do not "service" them on a schedule, esp not yearly. Do a search on the board for service discussions, you may find it interesting.

All that said, what do you expect to get from an upgrade? Unless you have a bottom of the line reg or your current reg has not been serviced properly, it's not likely you will see a substantial difference in performance. Or consider replacing just the second stage. Its where the majority of breathing performance is determined anyway so why replace a good, working (under warranty??) first stage with one that will not do any better just to get a little better performing second stage. By replacing just the second stage you save a lot of the cost, end up with a higher performing reg, plus have a working second stage as a spare if one of your other seconds starts giving problems.
Oh, and if your LDS tells you that can't be done...find another LDS.

If you plan to "upgrade" why not upgrade to a newer Oceanic setup. Just what model do you have now? Many times Oceanic will offer credit on upgrades if they are running a promo. I don't see this as necessary myself since one can never own too many regulators. One of the nicest setups out there now IMO is the CDX5 w/ GT3 second stage. Try to find one without the DVT. Will save you a hundred bucks or so and you'll have a reg that is easily as good if not better than ones costing twice the price. Or if an adjustable second is not a big deal there are CDX5's with Alpha8 seconds to be found new for under 150 bucks. Depending on my tax refund I'd like to pick up 2 more of those for classes.

I am a big fan of shopping around before I buy and have "spread the wealth" between my LDS, surrounding shops, and online dealers. The only thing that I will not buy online is a regulator. For me, IMO, that is the single most important piece of gear that you own, it is your life line that supplies your air. I just like knowing that I bought my regs from an approved dealer with a manufacture warranty and that if there is a problem then there should be no question that I get my reg serviced from where I bought it. Now, I did not buy my reg from my LDS but from a shop 45mins drive from me because I love the APEX brand; switched from SP.

Shop around, if you LDS does not give you what you want and you can get it elsewhere, with warranty, then go for it.

Just my 2CW.

From what I can see, Apeks seems to be the higher end of Aqualung ala Acura versus Honda.

If you have an issue with an LDS servicing your gears, you can always send it back to the manufacturers to get the regulators serviced.

From what I can see, Apeks seems to be the higher end of Aqualung ala Acura versus Honda.

While this was definitely true when Aqualung first bought Apeks, I think at this point AL(Aqualung) has stolen enough ideas from the Apeks line that the top of the line AL reg (Legend LX) is essentially the same as the top of the line Apeks TX200.

AL will never have the tech cred that Apeks built up, but I imagine that any performance differences are gone. They are using the exact same technology now.

If this is true (I feel it is), and you are buying new (it seems like the OP is), I would recommend the AL range over Apeks for a couple of reasons:

1. More shops stock more AL parts (Many AL dealers simply do not stock Apeks. They should but they don't)

2. Big parts are much cheaper for AL regs. And you won't ever need to replace a body because AL uses replaceable HP orifices. Some APeks regs still have fixed orifices. That means if the reg floods (like a used one I just bought) and it is not rinsed out, you can waste an entire first stage body because of corrosion on the first stage orifice. Even without the difference between a replaceable part and a fixed part, AL's parts are just cheaper overall. I love Apeks regs, but getting burned by buying a wasted first stage has kind of soured me on them.

3. AL regs (and Oceanic regs) now have a sealing mechanism on the first stage that would prevent the flooding of a first stage in the first place. I would absolutely not buy a new reg that did not have this technology.
AL calls it ACD (Auto CLosure Device)
Oceanic calls it DVT (Dry Valve Technology)

Greetings indeedidive and welcome to SB! Great post and I wish you were in my area!
I have a outstanding relationship with a local dive shop and service is handled very well! I guess I would seek out a good LDS that provides great customer service that is not just looking to take your $$$$!
I have found that in most circumstances good LDS will price match with on-line shops.
There are exceptions of coarse but warranty work / service is much simpler when going through a authorized dealer.
I have used Apeks, Oceanic, and my buddy dives Aqua Lung Legends all are awesome and perform well. Like has been mentioned, Aqua Lung owns Apeks and the Legend series has adopted some of the characteristics of the Apeks. In the end it is your personal preference.
The new Oceanics are nice as well and I have had outstanding customer service from them.
I believe the most important issue to solve hear is to find a dealer that you can have a good relationship with, one that you can trust and has your best welfare at heart. This helps while spending thousands of dollars and can create a loyalty that means many more purchases in the future. I know I can call my friend and he will take care of me and sometimes make me think about stuff a little more.
Take your time and feel good about it before you make the purchase!
Your are going about it the right way posting and researching here on the SB!
Good luck and keep us posted, if interested I can provide information on my local LDS. Just PM me and I will put you in touch, I am not involved in the business just a friend of the owner.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom