Soviet masks: Russian models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Wilson

Contributor
Reaction score
This thread will focus on the production of diving masks in Russia when the country was a constituent republic of the USSR. I am aware that my research findings rest on less solid foundations that those I reported in the threads about Soviet fins, as the latter models were much more easily identifiable by their name and shape. Soviet diving masks often came without names, only identified in the diving literature by the factory where they were made and a simple "Type 1", "Type 2" and "Type 3" used to establish a distinction among them. Unlike fins, many masks had little or nothing in the way of markings on them that might help in identiying even the name of the manufacturer.

Having started a little negatively, I'd like to redress the balance by expressing my admiration at the way some Soviet diving book authors have devised methods for comparative evaluation of diving masks. The following is a fine example, which I've translated from the original Russian:

Measurements.jpg

Measurement_2.jpg

The offerings above come from a Russian diving book I purchased recently on eBay entitled "Underwater sports equipment" (my translation) by a P. P. Serebrinitsky. They are very remarkable, considering how the book was published back in 1969. There can be few better examples of an 8-model mask round-up, covering as it does not only mask and lens dimensions but also angles of horizontal and vertical fields of vision. Here in the west, we bandy around terms such as "low-volume" without supplying for comparative purposes the exact cubic capacity of the mask interior, while our mask manufacturers neglect to provide even the most basic skirt measurements that would help us have an inkling at least whether a particular mask is likely to match the profiles of our faces or not.

I'll end with a description of one Soviet-era mask of Russian provenance. My first Soviet fin thread was about "Models 1-8" manufactured by the Moscow No. 4 Rubber Goods Plant known as "Mosrezina" (Мосрезина), a convolution of the Russian words for "Moscow" and "rubber". This mask thread will begin with the same factory in the Russian capital and with mask models simply known as "Type I" and "Type II":
2770716724.jpg
2770716729.jpg
2770716736.jpg
2770716747.jpg
2770716758.jpg

Note the complete absence of markings on the mask. I identified it from the unusual head strap, the lack of metal rim and the lines on the skirt. For quantitative information about these two masks, which resembled one another in every way except size, see the table earlier in this posting. Here is a review of the masks:

The Type I and Type II semi face masks from the Moscow Number 4 (‘Mosrezina’) rubber goods plant are circular in shape. The body of the semi face mask retains the silicate-glass lens without a metal rim to secure it. The types of semi face mask manufactured (I and II) differ only in their dimensions. Together with the small field of vision, the large facial area makes this design of semi face mask rather cumbersome. There has been some successful use of the semi face mask in the early stages of training divers unconnected with deep sea diving.

I'll move on to the Mosrezina Type III mask next. Hope the above has been of some interest, particularly if you share my belief that all diving masks need to be better labelled with dimensions and angles of vision.

Let's move on to the "Type III" mask from Mosrezina.

Type III
967300351.jpg
967301013.jpg
2652651426.jpg
Here's a Soviet review of the mask:

The Type III semi face mask from Mosrezina has an oval lens installed in a groove at the end of the body, without a rim to secure it. The drawbacks are the low hardness of the body of the semi face mask and the small difference between the dimensions, which results in a slight angle and increased resistance to movement in the water when swimming.

The mask below may also be a Type III:
401313808_2_1000x700_maska-dlya-podvodnogo-plavanya-1966g-fotografii.jpg
The markings provide the stock code MG-49607, the price 3 roubles and 50 kopecks and the year of manufacture, 1966. I don't have an explanation of the number 24. Note the lack of a name - even "Type II" embossed on the skirt would be some help.

I'll move on in the next message to another Mosrezina mask, the Volna (Wave), which was lauded by one diving book author as the favourite mask of Soviet spearfishermen.

very interesting information....are these photos from your personal collection?

very interesting information....are these photos from your personal collection?

Glad the thread is of interest. The pictures are of items that have been auctioned on the equivalents of eBay in Russia and Ukraine, Avito and Olx respectively. The Russian and Ukrainian mask models I own were all purchased new and I've reviewed them in my post-Soviet Russian and Ukrainian mask threads. Some of the information I've posted comes from Russian diving books I've bought recently on eBay.

I don't have an explanation of the number 24.

My guess is production line or a batch number or some such. Mould number?

You would normally also have an "OTK" stamp that in 1966 would probably have been ink and of course did not survive. "Otdel Tekhnicheskogo Controlya": Dept. of Tech. Control, Russian for QC.

My guess is production line or a batch number or some such. Mould number?
Excellent suggestions, dmaziuk. I've seen unexplained numbers on the base of Malaysian-made fins and I assumed that they were were mould numbers (see "234" below):
$T2eC16VHJHQE9nzEymDqBRGEt7p3q!~~60_57.JPG

So I agree that the "24" on the Russian vintage mask may well be the same.

You would normally also have an "OTK" stamp that in 1966 would probably have been ink and of course did not survive. "Otdel Tekhnicheskogo Controlya": Dept. of Tech. Control, Russian for QC.
Indeed.The "OTK" quality control ink stamp is clearly visible on the new "Pionyer" child's mask below:
0_1bc80_dd5d0bd6_xl-jpeg.406952.jpg

Thanks again for casting a knowledgeable and critical eye over all this.

Last edited:
Next up is the Volna mask, which is another Mosrezina product. The Russian word "Волна" (Volna) means "wave".

Volna
231d4fc9171d.jpg

4586516bc3ee.jpg

The name "Volna" is clearly visible on the top of the mask skirt and the two distinguishing features of this model is the rectangular shape of the lens and the bulbous ear-clearing bosses. Here is a contemporary review of the mask, taken from a Soviet diving book:

Original Russian:
Наиболее предпочтительной при занятиях спортивной подводной стрельбой отечественной моделью можно считать маску «Волна» московского завода №4. У нее прекрасная обзорность и за счет вогнутости резины внутрь сохраняется минимальное подмасочное пространство; маска имеет очень надежный хомут для уплотнения стекла, обеспечивающий полную герметичность. Но и эта модель имеет некоторые, правда, легко устранимые в производстве недостатки. Так, край маски у большинства экземпляров толстоват и тверд; полости для зажатия носа снаружи также грубоваты, толсты и узки, т.е. все время слегка сдавливают ноздри с боков. Если плавать в этой маске короткое время – недостатки эти не ощутимы, но если она находится на лице в течение нескольких часов, то на лбу и щеках останутся отчетливые красные «шрамы», а ноздри будут болеть.

Rough English Translation:
According to conventional wisdom, the domestically manufactured ‘Volna’ [Wave] mask from the Moscow No. 4 plant is the favourite model of underwater shooting sportsmen. It has excellent visibility and, due to the concave rubber interior, it maintains minimal space under the mask. The mask comes with a very robust clamp providing a completely leakproof lens seal. Yet the truth is that even this model has certain flaws that are easily removable during manufacture. For example, the margin of the mask in the majority of instances is thick and firm; the nose / pinch pockets are rough, thick and narrow on the outside, meaning that they are always slightly squeezing the nostrils from the sides. If you swim for a short time in this mask, these drawbacks will not be noticeable, but if you keep it on your face for a few hours, it will leave distinct red ‘scars’ on your forehead and cheeks and your nostrils will ache.

Note how the review is not uncritical of the mask's flaws. To make matters more complicated, the Volna appears to have come in another version with plain bosses:
359490234_1_1000x700_maska-dlya-podvodnogo-plavanya-proizvodstva-sssr-krasnyy-liman.jpg

359490234_3_1000x700_maska-dlya-podvodnogo-plavanya-proizvodstva-sssr-prochie-detskie-tovary.jpg

I have been unable to determine whether the two versions existed side by side or whether one version followed another.

The next mask I will be presenting is the "Buratino", also made by Mosrezina at the No 4 rubber products factory in Moscow. This model closely resembles a famous diving mask that has been manufactured continuously in Western Europe for more than half a century.

the second one seems a little more refined and polished.....interesting information...thanks for sharing.

On to the "Buratino", which is a copy of a cult Italian mask manufactured continuously since the early 1950s. Below is an image of Luigi Ferraro wearing the diving mask he designed, the "Cressi Pinocchio":
1LuigiFerraro_0.preview.jpg

And here is the Soviet Union's response to the design, the Buratino, made in the "Mosrezina" factory in Moscow in the early 1970s:. They do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Buratino
2353560942.jpg

2353561114.jpg

This mask was given the name "Buratino" (Буратино), which is the main character in a book written by Aleksey Nikolayevich Tolstoy (not Leo Tolstoy, author of "War and Peace"), who "had read Pinocchio as a child, but, having lost the book, (...) started re-imagining it many years later in an attempt to come up with a series of bedside stories for his own children." Read more at Buratino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. You can see the mask auction page for yourself at Маска для подводного плавания СССР. The Pinocchio-like character is clearly visible as a moulding on the top of the mask skirt in the picture below:
$_57j.JPG

The mask was reviewed in a Russian diving book as follows:

Original Russian: Пригодны также маски «Буратино» того же завода со стеклом, имеющим форму сдвоенных очков, и специальным приливом для носа. Однако при очень небольшом подмасочном пространстве маловата и их обзорность. Существенный их конструктивный недостаток еще и в том, что стекло, имея глубокую выемку для носа, часто лопается пополам при самом легком случайном нажиме. С этой маской необходимо обращаться осторожно. Кроме того, форма стекла не позволяет охватить его хомутом. Проволочная стяжка в узком месте стекла не гарантирует герметичность, особенно при перепадах давления.

Rough translation: Yet another suitable mask is the ‘Buratino’ [Pinocchio] from the same plant. It has a dual-pointed shape lens and a dedicated nose pocket. With its very low inner volume, however, the mask is a bit short on size and visibility too. One of the significant design flaws arises from the deep recess in the lens for the nose, which frequently and very easily results in the lens breaking in semi face when pushed accidentally. Handle this mask with care. Furthermore, the lens configuration does not meet up with the skirt. The wire tie at the narrowest point of the lens does not guarantee that the mask will be leakproof, especially when there are differences in pressure.

Not an uncritical review. I wonder how much of the above is applicable to the Cressi Pinocchio as well? Like the latter, the Morezina Buratino came in other colours:
1. Black, shown here with an Estonian-made "Tegur" drysuit and a pair of Mosrezina Number 7 Nerpa fins:
1882942657.jpg

2. Red
il_fullxfull.985749921_35t4.jpg

3. Blue
3521103742.jpg

We'll move on to another Mosrezina mask next time, one just identified with its code number, Part 49607.

sorry but they seem a little fragile for deep underwater work....thanks for sharing a bit of the past.

Back
Top Bottom