South Shore Boat Charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Found one... here's the info:

thanks for interesting about "The Fugitive" scuba charters.
1. Prices for charters are negotiable , first - how far ... fuel, second - how many people, 8 regular divers max,
6 technical divers max. If less than 6 people $60 per person is reasonable BUT, again, need to talk about dive location...
fuel.

2. We have swim platform and ladder, fresh water shower on swim platform and buckets (last two years was 49F from 50 feet down, so instead of shower was hot tea and coffee...). Emergency oxygen rent and tanks filled up in South Shore Divers shop (in Weymouth on 3A, five min. from dock), usually party stops there on a way to dock ( owner's name Al, tel. 781-331-1144 , he is a certified scuba instructor, we do charters for his deep sea diving class. Scuba tanks are stored upright, we do take technical divers, we do have coordinates for wrecks etc. I do have scuba certificate and can help with dives. Hot tea, coffee, spring water and coca-cola and cookies and chips are provided, more than that - tell us. Charter time (hours) can be any, can be night too, call us first.

Any other questions, call us 781-335-6124
or e-mail.
Thanks again.

Capt. Al.
Misha & Masha Co.
www.gis.net/~azlobin

Sounds interesting. I remember you mentioning a few wrecks around South Shore in an earlier post. Any good ones? I'd definitely be up for something interesting. Is the boat still in the water? Or are you thinking spring? Hmm... "1st quarterly NELD boat dive." Has a nice ring to it. :)

-Roman.

I'm going to be slammed at work until at least mid december, and will probably be putting in late nights and weekends, so I think I'm about done for the season.

As for the wrecks... yeah, I mentioned a few, but I read last night of one ledge on the south shore where no less than 40 ships were reported to have wrecked in a 10 year span in mid 1800s. I haven't done any wreck dives down there yet, but I know there have been plenty, and the few charted ones shouldn't be too hard to find.

MSilvia once bubbled...
As for the wrecks... yeah, I mentioned a few, but I read last night of one ledge on the south shore where no less than 40 ships were reported to have wrecked in a 10 year span in mid 1800s. I haven't done any wreck dives down there yet, but I know there have been plenty, and the few charted ones shouldn't be too hard to find.

That might be fun! Can't imagine that there's too much left of them anymore in terms of structure (especially if any of them were wooden), but it should still be interesting. Maybe even good hunting ground for some toys. :mean: Do you remember any details about the ledge itself? Name, perhaps? I'd like to maybe do some research on the ships, try to find out something about them.

-Roman.

Be sure to post if you guys need to fill a boat going out for some south shore diving. My two buddies and I try to do a charter dive at least once a month during the winter. I'll drop by and talk to Al (SS Diver shop owner) at some point too and see what he has to say.

Alot of charters dive the Graves and City of Salibury wreck along with the Kiowa.

Hardings ledge is the site of a ton of wrecks off Hull. Harding ledge, Point Allerton, and Natasket form what's know as "The Devil's Triangle of MA Bay"

As mentioned on another thread, I'd love to the Pinthis off Scituate (100') and the Delaware (65').

Have fun. However, this guy sounds like he is set up more for fishing than diving.

Personally, IMHO, he doesn't sound like he's got the experience or equipment to cater to diving. In fact, he just sounds dangerous.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Personally, IMHO, he doesn't sound like he's got the experience or equipment to cater to diving. In fact, he just sounds dangerous.

Wrecks, why do you feel that way? I'm not being confrontational, just picking your far more experienced brain. Now that I think about it more, here's what I come up with after perusing the webiste further: little dive charter experience (although everybody has to start somewhere), rents his O2 (or has divers rent it), likely has very little training in diving emergency handling and O2 administration (although that is an assumption based on other factors), anything else I didn't pick up? I agree that these factors may make him less desirable compared to other possible charters, by do they necessarily make him dangerous for rec-level scuba diving?

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...

Wrecks, why do you feel that way? I'm not being confrontational, just picking your far more experienced brain. Now that I think about it more, here's what I come up with after perusing the webiste further: little dive charter experience (although everybody has to start somewhere), rents his O2 (or has divers rent it), likely has very little training in diving emergency handling and O2 administration (although that is an assumption based on other factors), anything else I didn't pick up? I agree that these factors may make him less desirable compared to other possible charters, by do they necessarily make him dangerous for rec-level scuba diving?

-Roman.

Neither was I. I didn't take your comments as confrontational and hope that you took mine in the spirit in which they were intended.

You've tagged most of my concerns. The rest are below.

There is very little information on the website regarding his diving charters. Instead, the site has a picture of a wet suit diver with a goodie bag and several pictures of children. This does not inspire my confidence.

The website says that he is a USCG certified officer. I'm not sure whether that is the same as a Captain's license, but I would check. In addition, check that his license allows him to take the 8 recreational divers he claims that the boat will accommodate.

He claims to be a PADI certified diver. What level of certification? Personally, I prefer that my dive boat captains have stronger diving credentials than basic Open Water, particularly when I'm using them for technical diving.

Even if he is qualified, I see very little evidence that he is equipped for tech trips (large supply of O2, provisions for extended emergency decompression, paramedic level first aid kit and more extensive medical training are what I look for in tech boats, with surface supplied O2 a nice bonus).

He claims to have numbers for wrecks. Which ones? How good are the numbers. Are they GPS or Loran? If you're going to pay for the trip, you should at least get on the wreck.

Do the issues you identified made him dangerous for recreational charters? IMHO, yes. If your assumptions are correct, will anyone on that charter be qualified to handle diving emergencies? How many divers in your group have Rescue and MFA. What will you do if your rescue diver is the person who is injured.

I would suggest that these concerns are more important on a recreational trip than on a tech trip. My tech buddies and I have all taken more advanced medical training so that we may provide more advanced life support if we are injured far from EMS. Most recreational divers do not have that level of training and will rely upon the boat crew in the event that they are injured.

Can this person provide an appropriate level of care?

I would love to be proven wrong; however, these are the types of questions that you should ask before you get on the boat.

Thanks, Wrecks. Most insightful & educational. Made me think of some things that never occured to me before.

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom