South Padre Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SweetGalit:
I am going to be in SOuth Padre Island next week and I am looking to have my first certified open water dive in the ocean. I am looking for a place (buisness) that takes people out to dive sites , either as groups or something else. I don't have a buddy so I need to find someone else to go with. I am brand spankin new to occean diving and diving in general so anyone who wants to dive w/me and help/teach are more than welcome. I am from North Dakota so I have no idea how things work down there! Thanks!
GAlit=)

Welcome to the board. Next week is spring break on So Padre
http://www.spadre.com/springbreak.htm It is crazy..nekkid drunk people. That is not the way 'things work down there' on a regular basis lol. I hope you have already secured a place to stay. Have fun and be safe.

First dive, learning bouyancy control and deep water or extra hazards sounds like a bad idea.

I'm not familure with that part of Texas, so my opinion is based off of what has been said in the above thread.

Aren't there some boats out to the flower gardens with depth limits in the 70 ft range? 8 hr ride out, as I understand, so this isn't a dive and then come back and enjoy spring break between dives, kind of deal.

Michael Freeman:
First dive, learning bouyancy control and deep water or extra hazards sounds like a bad idea.

I'm not familure with that part of Texas, so my opinion is based off of what has been said in the above thread.

Aren't there some boats out to the flower gardens with depth limits in the 70 ft range? 8 hr ride out, as I understand, so this isn't a dive and then come back and enjoy spring break between dives, kind of deal.

I assumed since he was not from here that he wasn't familar with how bad it gets down on the island the week he is going (next week) I was just giving him a heads up so he didn't get down there and wonder what the heck it going on.

The Flower Garden trips are out of Freeport and they go for 3 days plus. It is not what I would call a novice dive.

parrotheaddiver:
I assumed since he was not from here that he wasn't familar with how bad it gets down on the island the week he is going (next week) I was just giving him a heads up so he didn't get down there and wonder what the heck it going on.

The Flower Garden trips are out of Freeport and they go for 3 days plus. It is not what I would call a novice dive.

Oh yeah, spring break on South Padre is a looney bin all right. It's one of the spring break "hot spots" for North American college students. Tens of thousands of revelers, clogging up the roads, restaurants, stores, hotels, etc... Several of my own students are leaving for Padre today or this weekend. Many students come from as far away as CANADA.

Flower Gardens diving in March is so iffy, even if you're qualified to do it, odds are likely the trip'll cancel due to bad weather. Boats are probably all booked up anyhow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom