South Padre Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to be in SOuth Padre Island next week and I am looking to have my first certified open water dive in the ocean. I am looking for a place (buisness) that takes people out to dive sites , either as groups or something else. I don't have a buddy so I need to find someone else to go with. I am brand spankin new to occean diving and diving in general so anyone who wants to dive w/me and help/teach are more than welcome. I am from North Dakota so I have no idea how things work down there! Thanks!
GAlit=)

Hello Galit,
welcome (Scub)aBoard! :balloon
Laurens

:thumb: Hello Galit, I wanted to give you a warm welcome to Scuba Board. You came to the right place to meet other divers and find answers for things you are looking for. If you have any questions please let me know and (you can PM me also) I will try and point you in the right direction. and Safe Diving. Matt. :drummer:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

South Padre is not a popular dive site, but there are operators there, I've heard. Please explore our Texas forum for more information, and ask for more there.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Moved from Introductions & Greets Forum.

Hmmm... first open water dives out of South Padre huh? I don't think there are any options other than rig dives in that neck of the woods. Few people would recommend them to new divers though, especially in March.

Other than a rig dive, I suppose one could dive the jetties. But it's the wrong time of year for that, and I wouldn't recommend that for new divers either. High entanglement hazards, awful vis, sharp objects (glass, barnacles, hooks), waves... not my cup of tea.

I'm sure someone will pipe in regarding the current listings for South Padre charter boats out to rigs. If the seas are very calm and there isn't any real current, AND you don't go too deep, a rig dive is probably okay. Make sure you wear thick leather or canvas gloves... not dive gloves. Neoprene will get all ripped to pieces.

I agree with leiserom. I would also recommend that you call American Diving for any updates that may not be on their website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom