South Padre Island Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Monday: Not enough people (just me) trip cancelled.
Tuesday: 10 people we get a little outside of the jetties and trip called due to weather/waves.

The Rio Grande Valley area has been getting record rain falls here lately.

Wednesday: No trip. I played golf. Had to wait for the rain to quit to do that.

Thursday: Finally the wind layed off, the rain didn't but we can dive in the rain.

The boat was Diver I. Gear is put together on the dock by the customer and put on the boat by one of the dive masters. Gear rides up top of the house. Almost the whole boat is enclosed. There is a bench on the bow where a customer could ride, but it would be a wet ride.

The Little Sara is a gas production rig in about 100 feet of water. Divers stage inside and one by one go onto the dive deck/step, gear up with assistance, and hit the water. The boat was tied to the rig from the bow with a side line to the trail line in the back. There was a thermalcline and muck layer at 50 feet. Surface temp was 77oF with 40-60 foot vis. Below the thermal the temp dropped to about 70oF with next to no vis. The rig was covered in barnacles with blennies living in many of them. Large schools of Look Downs, spade fish, and a couple barracuda. A single ling came and checked us out.

To be continued....

LVX:
Here is my report when I went out with Tim's crew last year.

Layne your pics were very clear...good vis it appeared.

Continued...

Dive two was on the same spot. The conditions had eased up some, but it was still raining. A nice mixed group of snapper was hanging out the outside of one leg, and a pair of ling came in and were hanging around. There were many very small blue crab hanging out around the barnacles and come bicolor damsels were also seen.

Really nice and friendly operation. I'd ride with them again.

Other things to do on South Padre....

Go see Sea turtle Inc Really nice operation, Very valuable service.

Take a 30 min drive to Brownsville to the Zoo It's ranked top ten in the country.

There are some historical sites that we are going to end up skipping.

Also the Clipper is supposed to be sunk... some day...

TwoBit

The effluent coming out of Texas rivers is making for terrible vis at near coastal dive sites - gotta' go at least 40 miles off-shore...

Nice report, sounds like you had fun despite the weather!

No sharks? Bummer.

Can't wait until I'm able to do some dives like that.

Rhonda

TwoBitTxn:
Go see Sea turtle Inc Really nice operation, Very valuable service.

I had no idea we have a Turtle rescue program, how wonderful. Thanks very much for sharing that, I am sure I will have to go visit them eventually!

Thanks for the report. They were having a drought like we were in Central Texas. A lot of rain is not a good thing down there. The countryside is flat and the water doesn't have anywhere to go.
Did you eat at Blackbeards? They have a really good blackened grouper steak.

We ate at Amberjacks the first night there. Not impressed. Not hungry enough to pay for the $22 AYCE buffet, but it would have been nice.

We did eat at Blackbeards. It was still a $50 tab for the three of us, (2 adults and a child) but I felt it was at least worth it. The other recommendation that we got that we didn't try was Dirty Mikes (?) down by the State Park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom