South Florida diver seeking winter wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully this will give you a good comparison. I will be diving in water than will range about 42° Sept thru Jan. <snip> I admit that I have never dove the Gulf Coast in the and only snorkeled it in the summer months so I can not comment on the winter temps down there. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure how this is helping the OP.....

Not quite sure how to take that but if it was not helpful then I apologize fellow Floridian and bid you good luck on your quest to find a suit that will fit your needs.

Don't read too much into it. It was meant to show the OP that comfort is relative to what you routinely experience. If you have to continually overcome discomfort, you will soon find excuses for not diving.

A 7mm suit is a reasonable way to extend one's diving season for those living in temperate climates.

Yeah I understood the contrast. I have been talking to enough people now that I am convinced I need a 7mm

I"d suggest you rent it before buying it.
A 7mm will limit your mobility greatly, in mi opinion, more than with a dry suit. The original post states that a dry suit is something you don't want or need.

Again just my opinion, but maybe you should approach the situation in a more objective fashion. There are many types of dry suits, a lot more than 7mm wetsuits.
Take your time and try them yourself. Talking about it is truly not that useful, unless it is about how best to entry/exit, maintain or similar.

Cold tolerance is so very personal, for some people 10 degree change means a slight discomfort; for others just 1 or 2 degrees makes a huge difference. Diving in South Florida I use:
thin cotton mechanic coveralls,
skins with polartec inside,
3mm wet suit,
3mm wet suit with hood,
3 mm with the polartec skin inside, hood and booties,
dry suit with thin undergarment,
dry suit with very fat undergarment.

I dove with 5mm wetsuits and hated the movement restriction, I put on a 7mm once and removed it right away.

Maybe a 7mm is the best choice for you, but before investing on one, do yourself a favor and check all your options.

I dont think I would go more than a 5mm...I dont know what the water temps are down there where you at, but I'm up here in Jacksonville, FL and I dive in the Springs all the time out buy Gainsville and Dunnellon and the water temp is around 72*...Went diving with this chick frend of mine and she wore a 7mm and was actually sweating in the 72* water...lol. My IDC Staff Instructor has told me many times that if I wanted anything higher than a 5mm to save my money and invest in a dry-suit.

I have the Aqualung Soloflex 7/8mm semi-dry with hood attached. I am in the panhandle of Florida. It is just as warm as my drysuit. It is almost too warm. Also, I need to add about 16 lbs of lead to sink the thing. For south FL, I would buy a 5mm and a hooded vest.

I will be in Palm Beach this spring, and I am thinking about bringing a dry suit along on this trip.
I found that I get cold in a 3mm wet suit in 70 deg waters. My DUI 30/30 with a light bunny suit will sure make those dives much warmer,
and as an added benifit it also keeps me out of the sun.
Jim Breslin

I'm live in Miami and I get cold easily.

I use a 3mm from 80-84 degrees and I used to use a 5mm below that, but I started getting too cold in the 5mm merino-lined suit. I remember doing my fundies check in 68 degree water off Pompano this past Feb and I was shivering in the 5mm with 5mm hood.

I now have a drysuit for South Fl diving November-April.

I have friends that are fine in a 3mm in 68 degree water though.

I am rather warm blooded. For Florida waters in winter, I find a 3mm to be a little on the cold side especially on the 2nd dive. I think a 5mm with a hood would be plenty unless you chill really easily. I agree with renting a 5mm. 7mm? I think I'd opt not to dive because I find a 5mm to be more restrictive than I like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom