South FL Waters and 12 ft Inflatable??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So ive been wanting to get my self something that can take me and maybe 3 ppl out diving. i was thinking of and inflatable boat more or less 12ft with aluminum floor would do me good (cant trailer it). i live in miami and dive all around south Florida and from what i can tell most dive sites are about a little over a mile or two off shore. would it be practical to use the 12ft as a dive platform? what size motor would i need? What would be my limitations?

I feel that a 12'-or less- inflatable is not enough boat...I used to run down to the keys all the time from NYC with my van and a 14' zodiac folded up inside it with a 35 hp motor/ 2 6 gallon gas cans, and went out as much as 7-8 miles out with no problems carrying 3-4 people and gear.

I feel that a 12'-or less- inflatable is not enough boat...I used to run down to the keys all the time from NYC with my van and a 14' zodiac folded up inside it with a 35 hp motor/ 2 6 gallon gas cans, and went out as much as 7-8 miles out with no problems carrying 3-4 people and gear.

will those 2 ft make much of a difference? the boat im looking at is 12.5 ft...

makes a world of difference..lets you use a bigger motor,space for gear and people..some would say a 15' at a minimum..

Yeah but then you get those crazy So Fla people that take kayaks out and I once heard of a jet ski moored on one of the balls on the Spiegel Grove! True or not I don't know but who knows....

Yeah but then you get those crazy So Fla people that take kayaks out and I once heard of a jet ski moored on one of the balls on the Spiegel Grove! True or not I don't know but who knows....

Jim depending on the ocean conditions going a few miles out with a proper kayak is not dangerous. The crazy part is people who try it without any kayaking experience.

What I've found is the dive boats get awful upset when you try and put a 12 foot zodiac under your seat. :wink:

Don't forget you'll need to trick someone into staying on board while you are under. You might want an AED, first aid kit, and oxygen bottle along with someone trained to use them and with liability insurance. I know a lot of the diving is close to shore but an EPIRB, a primary radio with a good antenna and a backup handheld radio, and a fire extinguisher.

I would suggest trying to rent or borrow that boat for a day, and take it for a dive. Make sure it works for you, and you can use it comfortably and safely.

i was actually able win myself an Brand new Sea Eagle 14ft inflatable with 3 warranty!! off an ebay auction sea eagle was doing :D !! $1000 for a $2500 package :dance2:

only thing that concerns me about the boat is that is has a some what flatter bottom then other boats Ive seen. still Ive read a lot of good review on these.

anyone have used one before?

boat_zps964a6168.jpg

---------- Post added October 27th, 2013 at 07:55 PM ----------

What I've found is the dive boats get awful upset when you try and put a 12 foot zodiac under your seat. :wink:

Don't forget you'll need to trick someone into staying on board while you are under. You might want an AED, first aid kit, and oxygen bottle along with someone trained to use them and with liability insurance. I know a lot of the diving is close to shore but an EPIRB, a primary radio with a good antenna and a backup handheld radio, and a fire extinguisher.

I would suggest trying to rent or borrow that boat for a day, and take it for a dive. Make sure it works for you, and you can use it comfortably and safely.

:wink: i got that mostly covered. a lot of my Friends are scientific divers or life guards and have some sort of first response training. Im pretty shore we can do teams or just fine one of them thats down to sun bath or something. need a decent VHF radio tho. idk about a fire extinguisher. Also i think ive just found a use for that heavy as hell Lp45 O2 tank i have laying in my closet.....

You should have checked out Boats to Go in North Miami. But what is done is done, I hope the boat serves you well.

Last edited:
A 12 ft will be crowded with two divers and gear. Once you put a motor on it you won't be allowed to launch from shore. This means you will have to go out an inlet. If the ocean is flat you can still have 3-4 foot waves from the large yachts and big charter boats in the inlet. The waves hit the shore and bounce back making a confused sea state. It can get sporty. I wouldn't recommend it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom