South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly, Lee. That's why I'm curious to hear how Coastal performs for TM. It would be nice to have multiple ops at that high level.

I dove Coastal a couple of years ago. The only boat they had available that day was their 115 vessel. The giant stride off the rear was a LONG drop. I see complaints about Coastal but I give them some tolerance due to the fact I received such good service in the 90's. They are still in the game and significant changes can and will happen. Time tells all.

Now days I am more focused on Wilmington and Southeastern Florida.

We asked Express about shore diving in that area - we were staying in Litchfield Beach nearby. One of the crew told us about one jetty where he went occasionally - but he said it was a long walk (like a mile?) from the parking lot, full of fishing line and the viz could be really bad. IIRC it might have been in a state park nearby. We didn't try it.

I bet he was talking about Huntington State Park Beach. It's south of Myrtle. I was there years ago and its a haul from the parking lot to the jetty.

I live here is MB. The jetties they were talking about can be accessed from Huntington Beach state park. It is about 1.5 miles from the parking lot to the jetties. Once in a blue moon someone will be out there free diving them, but to have 5ft of vis would be a banner day and that happens almost never. It is the same in or worse up in NC. The water does not get clear enough in the bays to even consider diving.

A charter boat is your only choice. As others have said, Express is the the best one. There is good clear water offshore that time of year. Try and get to the Hebe, it is about the best dive around and should be loaded with sharks.

Have considered shore diving just N. in NC as well. Maybe in some of the back bays/inlets (prefer to avoid wicked currents).

I live just north in NC, about 40 mins north of Myrtle. No diving in the bays or inlets. No visibility, shallow, boat traffic, and nothing to see on the bottom. As others have said, charter is the way to go in the Carolinas. Cruise up to Wilmington or down to Charleston, there are some incredible wreck dives. Water temps are getting a little chilly, but that also means crystal clear water offshore most days. Thick wetsuit and a hood you're fine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom