South Africa - Sardine Run and More...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just returned from the trip of a lifetime to South Africa. God only knows how, but I'm going to beg, borrow or steal my way onto next year's trip as well.

My itinerary was 8 days of Sardine Run, 3 days in Cape Town with Great Whites and then a week-long safari. My poor, poor credit card.

Here's the location for the Sardine Run - Mbotyi

01Mboyti0024.jpg

Here's a typical scene underwater

02SardineRun03814.jpg

Here's a humpback and calf

02SardineRun03810.jpg

Humpback alone

02SardineRun038.jpg

Dolphins, up close

02SardineRun0387.jpg

And here's a Great White, up close and VERY personal

03CapeTown03912.jpg

More to follow!

Wow. Did you go with the Wetpixel group? I really want to do that too and it looks like you came up with the perfect itinerary. I'm wondering if, somehow, one could fit in the whale sharks at Mozambique, or do they come at a different time of year?

I love that photo of the great white. Is that a fisheye lens?

Great images, glad to hear you had a great time ! Look forward to seeing the rest.

Fairybasslet you can see the Whalesharks in Tofo, Mozambique year round ! Been twice, looking at going again.

When is the season for Sardine run and whats the costs? I'm interested going next year, would be helpful to get info on a trip like this.

THE Hammerhead, thanks for the photos. I am glad you have enjoyed your holiday in SA.

When is the season for Sardine run and whats the costs? I'm interested going next year, would be helpful to get info on a trip like this.

Feel free to PM me for more, but basically there's only one month of the Sardine Run (mid June to mid-July) and it cost me $3,600 for 8 days, excluding flights.

The problem is that it can be hit-and-miss with weather, sea action and so on, but if you get a good few days, it's all worth it.

Sardines are boring, but seeing as you're a friend...

02SardineRun0388.jpg

and then they were gone...

02SardineRun03820.jpg

Before and after, this time with Kudu and (unseen) lions: -

04Safari00129-1.jpg

04Safari00130-1.jpg

Famous SA sunset

01Mboyti002.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom