source for weight molds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to make a handful of 2lb weights to have around for lending out or whatever so I thought I would make my own. however the molds that are available from what I have seen would make weights that are really square :shakehead: and I would like to make them nicer and more like these:

Sea Pearls - Vinyl coated diving weights

though without the coatings. They all have nice rounded corners and edges so I assume they come from 2 part molds. I'm OCD and I want nice looking weights. does anyone know where to get molds to make these nicer shaped weights.

Thanks for your help. T

Those look nice!

But what about making your own by casting a weight in some Plaster of Paris or something? Lead is easy to work with and you could trim and finish to your satisfaction.

Just a thought.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Hi Northwood:
I make a line of moulds from 2 to 11 pounds. Contact me at logicdesign@rogers.com
I have a total of 22 different styles sizes and shapes and will ship to anywhere on earth. I specifically have a 2 pound, two piece mould that would probably be exactly what you are looking for.

you need to find a machinist that will make you a bunch of different sizes of molds then all you have to do it melt the lead and pour it into the molds yourself, if you get it done CNC then you can have nice radius edges and engrave whatever you want to show up on each weight block once you pour.

Sorry, but I've casted lead in molds that are probably older than me. It really isn't that difficult, just take the proper precautions. Molds can have nice smooth edges. If you want to engrave the weights on the ballast, I'd recommend you imprint it in the back while it firms up. There will not be a CNC machine involved in any of this. I've run CNC machines, and if you use one to work on lead, you aren't a machinist. Or an engineer. Or someone who is willing to use a file, when a 100 thousand dollar machine will do.

Just cast a weight an shave a bit off with a file if you want more comfort. The amount you shaved off can be compensated by basic math. And it's gonna be a lot less than what your lung capacity is.

you need to find a machinist that will make you a bunch of different sizes of molds then all you have to do it melt the lead and pour it into the molds yourself, if you get it done CNC then you can have nice radius edges and engrave whatever you want to show up on each weight block once you pour.

First you have to produce a design then find that machinist. $1000 might get you a two piece mould with nice round corners, but a bunch. With that kind of investment, you better be thinking about producing a million weights and going into business selling them.
I have moulds that would cost you 1/20 what a machinist might charge. Write me at logicdesign@rogers.com and see what I have. There are over 20 different sizes and styles to choose from.

Leo,
Do you have pics of your molds with some prices?

I just tried to post this. I hope something possitve happens.

Attachments

• 2009Mqp.jpg
    2009Mqp.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 4,151
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom