source for weight molds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First you have to produce a design then find that machinist. $1000 might get you a two piece mould with nice round corners, but a bunch. With that kind of investment, you better be thinking about producing a million weights and going into business selling them.
I have moulds that would cost you 1/20 what a machinist might charge. Write me at logicdesign@rogers.com and see what I have. There are over 20 different sizes and styles to choose from.

Or you need to find someone who dives and does CNC machining as a hobby.... someone like me. lol.

I have an older Hurco KMB1M knee mill (computerized machine tool in English). The Amazon thing looks like a piece of cake to have the machine make. It's just a matter of using the right end mills (bits) to get the radius (curve) at the bottom. The bigger question... if you are going to cast weights, why bother with something boring like the square pretzel?

Anyhow, it wouldn't be hard to find someone to make a mold for you. Heck if there is enough of a market I'd run them on my machine for amusement.

It looks like that mold is made from steel which is not my favorite thing to run, although the machine will run it fine it's just messy and harder. I prefer aluminum which may or may not be suitable for aluminum.

Or you need to find someone who dives and does CNC machining as a hobby.... someone like me. lol.

I have an older Hurco KMB1M knee mill (computerized machine tool in English). The Amazon thing looks like a piece of cake to have the machine make. It's just a matter of using the right end mills (bits) to get the radius (curve) at the bottom. The bigger question... if you are going to cast weights, why bother with something boring like the square pretzel?

Anyhow, it wouldn't be hard to find someone to make a mold for you. Heck if there is enough of a market I'd run them on my machine for amusement.

It looks like that mold is made from steel which is not my favorite thing to run, although the machine will run it fine it's just messy and harder. I prefer aluminum which may or may not be suitable for aluminum.

Thanks for your comment on milling a mould as well as your comment on the weights.
The boring square pretzel is popular because of cost. It is also one piece and easy to pour and handle. To mill out a mould may be easy with the right tools; however, that is where the high cost of milling kills you. If the machine is "free" and your time is "free" you still have to acquire the block of aluminum and the cutters (bits). I purchased one custom made cutter for a very custom job and it cost me $180. I did not sell one mould made with the cutter. I lost a bundle on that project. You also have to dial in the right data which may take some time to work out. Getting the volume you are after takes a little work. I have gone this route with a friend of mine who has (had) the equipment and donated his time, but he told me I would be crazy if I wanted to make them for sale. Sand casting is the much more cost effective way of producing a product that our 'poor' divers can afford.

I do this as a hobby and can assure anyone reading this, I am probably not even coming close to making 'minimum wage' for the time I put it. However, it is great fun and I get to communicate with a great bunch of people (i.e. DIVERS). It also keeps me off the streets and away from the drug scene.

Thanks again for your comment(s). As a challenge though, try making a eight pound, two piece mould in a unique style. As you work on it, keep track of your time and cost of all materials then post the information on this board as to what you might sell it for. Don't forget to include the cost of you lubricating fluids during cutting and paper towels used to clean up.

Hi
I am looking for a diving lead mold which can produce 1 pound.

I attached a sample.of the weight which I would to produce

Regards

Attachments

• 20221101_094757.jpg
    20221101_094757.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221101_094645 (1).jpg
    20221101_094645 (1).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 34
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom