Source for lead weights - 2.5lbs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

even if I'm way off (probably am) and the lung volume swing is 2 liters thats ~4.4lbs of lift, still enough to offset the 3lbs swing in my example

I thread the weight directly to the rig - it is not ditchable so softweights are not an option for me.

These guys have 2.5 pounders listed
Purity Casting Alloys - Scuba Dive Weights

Don't really understand this. You can thread soft weights that have the webbing loop built in. You can add or subtract any amoount of lead shot you want (as long as it fits). So there is the answer to your original question. Now, to address, the reasoning behind the question. I realise anyone can want what ever they want, but why would 8 oz trim weights not serve the purpose. Also, if this is not a question of trim, I have not EVER ( in 34 years of diving instruction) heard of ANYONE sweating 1 pound of weight for a TOTAL balast weight. It is great that you are trying to decrease your balast (very few divers take it to the extent that you are), but there is something to be said for having a margin for error with respect to being underweighted. What if you are so perfectly weighted with 350 lbs in each tank, and you have to use that reserve in your tanks? (you have an uncontrolled ascent the last 10 -20 feet). What if you became over exerted, cold, or scared during your dive? (Your tidal volume and residual vollume will increase, and you will have an uncontrolled ascent the last 10 -20 feet).

As a fellow cave diver, I respect your pursuit of perfect bouancy, I just feel that a LITTLE bit of extra lead is not always the enemy.

Last edited:
I wear a harness and thread the weight onto the harness, if i wear a weight belt thats gear that has to be added and then the lead becomes "ditchable" which I do not want (cave diving), it also doesn't put the lead on my body where I want to wear it.

If I have to breath the cylinders below 350 psi I would breath with the bottom of my lungs, also swimming well help keep me down, its not like I would be floating like a cork, there is enough lead to keep me from floating up.

Normally I wouldn't breath them below 1000 psi as it is, I just check weight lower "just in case"

As I said, some soft weight pockets can be thread onto your harness because they have a webbing loop sewn on the back.

As I said, some soft weight pockets can be thread onto your harness because they have a webbing loop sewn on the back.

I mis-read, I wasn't aware some of them come with loops, I'll have to look for that!

Do you ever come up this way? (DFW) ?

Maybe you should run a thread on the Razor harness as these last two threads have been some of the most active threads in a while.

Later, Andrew

What do you suggest? I don't really have any video or anything, and its a razor style harness not exactly a razor :)

I'd like to have video of it so I could see how everything is riding tho!

What do you suggest?
They have this button called 'start thread' you click on that.
You must have been taught in a NAUI program :D

I don't really have any video or anything, and its a razor style harness not exactly a razor :)
No but you have been the resident expert on the subject.
If you need a good place for calcualtions- look up the old NAUI Advanced Manual.
It has lots of great information on displacement and formulas.

I'd like to have video of it so I could see how everything is riding tho!
Check with Debra her husband Troy has a HD camera and probably could cover that for ya.

I like the idea of using the MSR bags. I might try that with something I am working on. Then again I alrady have a plan on how to add an elbow and a LP hose.
(Just the evil NAUI instructor in me)

We need to get together and chat.
Later, Andrew

If you need a good place for calcualtions- look up the old NAUI Advanced Manual.
It has lots of great information on displacement and formulas.

Do you mean the one entitled Advanced Diving, Technologies and Techniques? Because yes, that book is AWESOME.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom