soon to be SCUBA yaker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you flip the kayak won't the tank and the rack just fall out?

Yep...............................although I do like the idea of the rack so that the tank does not roll side to side, which will flip you over, but if you do flip, you will lose that tank because your BC isn't attached to it for flotation.

The rack will be tied down wit paracord. The tank will be held to the rack with bungee cord..i am trying to get my hands on a small section of 8" pipe to mak an actual cradle for the tank.

Matt

Matt, I don't think the bungee will hold the tank if you roll over. Then you have to consider trying to right the yak after you roll. I would strongly recommend you practice with just one tank until you are comfortable with the whole procedure of diving from a yak. Later you could possibly make some kind of flotation harness for the spare tank with swim noodles?

This will not be going on the gulf with me the first few times. It needs to be lake tested for tank retention as well my ability to get the yak up righted. If I cant right the yak in 8 feet of water the game is over for this idea period. I have another idea that gives the spare a life jacket that is inflated around the cylinder but that one is a bit more troublesome to make.

I would not be using the bungee cording like the yak came with. I would be using 4 to 5 1" bungee straps with one having a choke hold on the valve. If I can get my hands on an 8 inch piece of PVC pipe the design will get even more secure.

The tank sets pretty low in the boat, all be it not as low as the one that would be up front in my BCD. Its a fun project with the hopefully successful mounting of a spare tank that is secured and stable. I wish I had a tank handy that I could throw in it to give you a better idea of the mounting and securing of it. Either way, thank you both very much for your input and concern.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom