Sony VX-1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dugongberbulu

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a used Sony VX-1000 + Amphibico housing.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this particular set-up, or knew of people who do.

Any info would be much appreciated BEFORE I shell out the $$$ :eyebrow:

Thanks.

I know 1 guy that uses it and another who used to use it (He sold it to the other :wink: )

Its a good camera and housing. The housing survived being at the bottom of the Aegean sea. (Note: he had to put extra strength springs in for the switch's to get it to work at > 300 ft or so)

Edit: Actually, I know of another guy that just picked up one...mainly because he was impressed with the quality the other guy was getting. (almost forgot about that.)

I used the VX1000 topside for several years. I liked it very much. Never got an UW housing for it though. I've heard several professionals say that the VX1000 does not produce great results with respect to color underwater. More recent 3-CCD cameras perform better from what they say. I would look more towards the PD150 or PD170 if I were buying one today.

drbill:
I used the VX1000 topside for several years. I liked it very much. Never got an UW housing for it though. I've heard several professionals say that the VX1000 does not produce great results with respect to color underwater. More recent 3-CCD cameras perform better from what they say. I would look more towards the PD150 or PD170 if I were buying one today.

I have both a PD150 and a VX1000. Both are good cameras. I've never shot with the VX1000 underwater but expect that it would do reasonably well. I'm sure it would give you much better images than any single chip camera or any of the new 3 chip 1/6" CCD cameras. (The VX1000 has 3 1/3" CCDs.) Regarding color - the factory presets on the VX1000 can be a bit flat to my my taste. The camera allows you to adjust the color saturation and sharpness using custom presets. I recommend boosting the color saturation a bit.

As you may know, the VX1000 was the first "prosumer" DV camera. It was priced for the consumer market yet good enough for professional use. The VX1000 has been used for lots of corporate video, many documentaries and even a few feature films.

One additional comment on the PD150 and PD170 underwater. Both have "professional" B&W viewfinders which are very difficult to use underwater. (Is that gray blob a fish or coral?) I have a clear Ikelite housing and use a mirror to see the LCD screen when folded back against the camera.

I doubt you will be disappointed by the VX1000.

Rick
Bonaire Clips

I have the VX1000 and the VH1000 Amphibico Housing.

I have found it easy to use and it takes good video. The combination (not including the battery and light assembly) is very slightly negative so the camera is virtually weightless in your hands. If you need to release it, it slowly falls away on its tether and you don't have to worry about it crashing into something as it falls.

I have about 25 dives with it.

The Amphibico support has been great.

Jerry

Thanks very much to all for your comments!

Let you know if I can close the deal with the guy selling :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom