Sony housing for the DSC-W5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Using the MPK-WA sony housing with the DSC-W5 (or W1 & W7)
Just curious if anyone has tried this combination - does it allow you to switch between movie and photo mode?

What pros & cons can you comment on?

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. The other option I'm currently looking at is the DSC-P93 with the MPK-PEA housing

kidspot:
Using the MPK-WA sony housing with the DSC-W5 (or W1 & W7)
Just curious if anyone has tried this combination - does it allow you to switch between movie and photo mode?

What pros & cons can you comment on?

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. The other option I'm currently looking at is the DSC-P93 with the MPK-PEA housing

DSC-P93 is a couple of generations out of date. I'd look at the DSC-P100/120/150 in a MPK-PHB housing as a more modern option. Inon makes adapter kits for the MPK-PHB housing and the optical strobe mounting kits.

I don't have any experience with the W series. But you have full access to all the control on the DSC-P100/120/150 while in the MPK-PHB housing.

MFaunce:
DSC-P93 is a couple of generations out of date. I'd look at the DSC-P100/120/150 in a MPK-PHB housing as a more modern option. Inon makes adapter kits for the MPK-PHB housing and the optical strobe mounting kits.

I don't have any experience with the W series. But you have full access to all the control on the DSC-P100/120/150 while in the MPK-PHB housing.

Thanks for the info,

I was considering the P93 for that very reason actually - on land I have a D300, but wanted a less expensive point and shoot for diving that I wouldn't mind "as much" flooding (which I'd still like to avoid :wink: ) I was considering the W series because they have a larger LCD screen (2.5" VS. 1.5" on the P series) but I'll look at the ones you suggested as well... thanks

Aloha, Tim

P.S. originally I was looking at the Canon Elph series, but the continuous video mode (which I've seen samples of on the Sony and been impressed with) is unavailable on Canon cameras... too bad because I'm a fan of Canons...

The P93 is going to be MUCH slower in it's cycle time than the P100/120/150. The time between Shutter click to Shutter click is going to be 4-5x as long as on the P100/120/150. The P10 is a newer camera than the P93 and it's still slow compared to the P100/120/150.

My belief is that Sony is just using up stock of older circuitry with the P93 or made many more of them than later models which is why you still see them on shelves, but newer models have already disappeared. I'm actually trying to find a P150 on the shelf, but most stored have already pulled in in favor of the P200 which doesn't have a housing.

As far as actual pictures, I don't think you'd see much difference between a P93/P10/P100/P150, but the "experience" is much different. I get frustrated by the cycle time on the P10 where the P100 cycles fast enough that it doesn't bother me.

Thanks Mike, I'm adding the P100/150 to my investigation list as well. I was just concerned that the housing would not allow a switch between video and photo mode, since it appears the shutter button has no wheel on it like the housing for the P93 did... (I just need a low quality video mode for educational purposes, nothing artistic)

So it's probably a choice for me between the P100/150 and the W5/7

I can't see needing more than 5mp on a point and shoot - unless I need a very large image (8x10-12x18) my 6.5mp slr is too much quite frequently...

Aloha, Tim

I just bought the MPK-PHB housing for a newly purchased 150. As said above, the 150's are getting hard to find, due the 200's more favorable larger view screen. If you do find one (say, on line like I did), you'll likely find a great price. Other problem is that the PHB marine pack is equally hard to find. I searched every known website, & all indicated long back order. I finally bought one (reluctantly) on ebay. I can confirm that you can indeed film mpg movies as well as access ALL the many functions of this powerful camera underwater. The 7.1 megapixals are nice for photo editing on the PC (cropping down to size etc), but you can pull down to 5 or even lower for more capacity on your memory stick (again, all functions available w/ marine pack). Its too bad Sony hasn't come out with a housing for the 200 (I looked at this camera in the store, & its config. is quite different than the 150, so the PHB will NOT work). Good luck in your search!

Hi Lakeman

How does your sony perform underwater? Does the pictures go green? Do you have difficulty adjusting the colors post-processing?

Cheers
Edwin

You can find the P150 on ebay/Amazon (other option). Also it's available on the Sonycard reward program, which is where the slow to move seems to end up.

It wasn't received as well as the p100, which had great reviews.

I have a p100, works great, if I could post the mpeg of my Titan Triggerfish encounter on SB I would. Just remember that the mpeg quality isn't the same as what you can expect from DV, due to the nature of mpeg and the unit's limitations.

MoonWrasse:
You can find the P150 on ebay/Amazon (other option). Also it's available on the Sonycard reward program, which is where the slow to move seems to end up.

It wasn't received as well as the p100, which had great reviews.

I have a p100, works great, if I could post the mpeg of my Titan Triggerfish encounter on SB I would. Just remember that the mpeg quality isn't the same as what you can expect from DV, due to the nature of mpeg and the unit's limitations.

Thanks for the input - mpeg is more than adequate for my needs at this point - If I really get into video rather than still shots, I'll look at a housing for my camcorder. The nice thing about this kind of a setup is that I can "dabble" in both until I see where my interests take me.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom